Thursday, September 9, 2010

Writing -Less May Be More!

Have you ever heard the term "less is more" used? Well, it's used when having more of something isn't necessarily a good thing. Graduation speeches are a perfect example of this! Sometimes, people may think that they have to do things a certain way or a certain length (for writing or speaking). However, having more is not always better! Less is often a more attractive alternative.

Let me present you with this situation. A person is giving a speech or presentation. Instead of covering the main points in 5 or 7 minutes, the person takes 15 or more minutes, leaving everyone wondering when it was going to end. In this case, less would have been more! Had this person covered what they wanted to do in less time, they would've received a more favorable response from the audience.

This is true with your writing. Never "fluff" it up. Cover your main points. Be concise. If you do that, it won't matter how short or long it was, as you did what you needed to do!

Have you ever heard, seen, or read something that was too long and you felt could have been presented in a much shorter way? If so, what was it?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, a patient called he wanted information about one of the Doctors, I gave him everything he asked for, but he just keep going on, and on about things I couldn't help him with.

I didn't what to be rude, so I let him continue to talk, he was a elderly person; I felt a little bad for him so I just listen.



Gail

Anonymous said...

One of my experiences that I can recall was when I had to appear for jury duty. The problem began when one of the assistances there was trying to explain the name calling process .she could have explained it in a less complicated way so the others could understand. Every one was getting too confused with her instructions that she thought was helping.

Nicole Cunningham

Anonymous said...

I use to work for a wireless company and I remember that many customers would call with issues about their cell phones but, didn't know how to explain their problem. An example of what customers could have said is, “my phone doesn’t turn on”, or “I don’t have good reception”. Instead, some customers would tell a story about the cell phone not working .In these stories, they would mention people, many places, and other details that didn’t pertain to the problem. Some of these customers issues could have been resolved quicker, if they only kept their description shorter.

Maria C. Torres
9/10/2010

Anonymous said...

Writing –Less May Be More!


Instruction manual’s always provide us with a lengthy read, whereas most people are inpatient and therefore choose to skip the instruction manual altogether. Which can be dangerous because they can miss some very important information inside needed to complete the job. Lots of times we’ve had to do things repeatedly when skipping out on the instruction manual only to have to buckle and read them later. The best solution for this problem is an easy read manual that consist of mostly graphic illustrations to assist in the products use. Also key illustrations to pin point critical information.



SHENEA WALKER

Unknown said...

Sometimes when I ask another person a specific question that requires a simple single response, I get a whole speech instead. People do not realize that it is always better to be concise than wordy! It is important to always directly answer a question when asked than beating around the bush.

alex phillip said...

This is more often the case than not. It's worse when the speaker is really narcissistic, revels in being in the spotlight and enjoys hearing themselves speak!

Anonymous said...

I feel if you have something to say, you should just get to the point.

Anonymous said...

I feel that contracts have too much fluff. They have words that I have never heard of and I have to figure out while reading the contract. I know that there are things that have to be written to abide the customer to it but, it can be very overwhelming when you don’t understand some of it and the contract may be a couple pages long.

Maria C. Torres
9/19/2010

Anonymous said...

Yes I had an old classmate of mine gave a presentation and she basically put the whole class asleep. She could have put pictures or movie clips into her presentation to make it more entertaining.

Angela Richardson