Monday, January 19, 2009

Writing - Idioms (Part 4)

Let's continue our exploration of idioms. The last blog post focused on some medical idioms. This time, we'll focus on idioms dealing with color.

Did you ever hear (or read) that a person's face was "as red as a cherry" after a certain event? That saying implies that a person's face was red, possibly from embarrassment or maybe a severe sunburn. That idiom helps you imagine just how red the person's face it. It may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it certainly helps to convey the point!

Take a look at this list of idioms dealing with color.
http://www.idiomconnection.com/color.html#B

Then, once you've reviewed them, try the quiz to see how well you know them!
http://www.idiomconnection.com/color.html#BQ

Lastly, come back to the blog, write your favorite color idiom, the meaning of it, and tell us how you did on the quiz!!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favourite colour idiom is,as red as blood.

The stain on the carpet was red as blood.


Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

My favorite idioms are "green around the gills" and "seeing pink elephants."There are alot of them like"blackball"and"blackbox"that I have never heard of.I am not sure how I did on the test.

Anonymous said...

My favorite color idioms is: white elephant -a useless possession{that often cost money to maintain}
black market -the where goods/money are illegelly bought and sold
Dorothea M.

Anonymous said...

My favorite idiom color is Blue in the face.

To be very angry or upset, to be excited and very emotional.

I got nine out of ten.

Allison.

Anonymous said...

I like "green thumb". It means a talent for gardening, the ablility to make things grow.

I got 10 out of 10 on the test.

Anonymous said...

My favorite color idiom is 'yellow-bellied'.

Meaning: extremely timid, cowardly

I got 9 out 10 on the color idioms quiz.

Leonie Florestal

Anonymous said...

Taking the quiz was very enlighting ,the words that stuck up the most was " I saw red " because it day when Iget upset wiyh my kids.tiffanyf

Anonymous said...

"With flying colors" means successfully. In December, I passed my intense three weeks training with flying colors.

Maria Rodriguez - Trelles

Anonymous said...

My favorite color idiom , a gray area. Which is a question that is not clearly defined and may have a broad or more than one answer, neither black or white.

Example: The issue of the tax on children's toys was a gray area for the accountant.

Abbey P.

Anonymous said...

My favorite idiom is once in a blue moon -- very rarely.

I got 8 out of 10 on the test.

Geraldine G.

Anonymous said...

My favorite idiom is brown bag it which means take lunch to work. On the test I got a perfect score.

Gm

Anonymous said...

Actually, my favorite idiom about colors is one I just learned here.

green-eyed monster which means jealosy.

I got nine out of 10 in the quiz.

Margie

Anonymous said...

These were very interesting. I hadn't heard of a lot of them,but horse of a different color, was my favorite. This means, something totally separate and different. I got a 100 on the quiz.

Melissa Lobsinger