Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Writing as a Memory Tool (Part 2)

We're going to examine 5 tips so you can be an effective note-taker. These all come from http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/academic/notes-tips.htm, and even though they focus on traditional classroom-based, we'll talk about how they can be modified for online classes!

Go to class prepared. (This is true no matter if it's an online class or an "in-person" one!)

"Always have a plan and believe in it. Nothing good happens by accident." -- Chuck Knox, NFL football coach

  • Use a three-ring binder instead of a spiral or bound book. Pages can be easily removed for reviewing. Handouts can be inserted into your notes for cross-referencing. You can insert your own out-of-class notes in the correct order (Ellis).

  • Bring highlighters to class. Instructors will frequently make comments like, "This is an important concept." Or, "Make sure you understand this." These are direct clues that this will more than likely be on an exam. Highlighting these notes will help remind you later that this is definitely something you need to know.

  • Read assigned material and previous class notes before class. Make notations about material or concepts you don't understand. Look up vocabulary words that are unfamiliar to you. You will have a better understanding about what the instructor is lecturing about and that will allow you to better decipher the more important points of the lecture.
------

What do you think about these first few suggestions? They make sense, don't they? Do you do those things? If not, do you think you might start doing them?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep a notebook in pen where ever I go. When I am at work and my supervisor want to see me, I take my notepad and pen just to jot down something she say of importance. I think it is always good to have a plan and well prepared to write down something important.


Abbey P.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the statement to "always have a plan, and that nothing good happens by accident.

Also, the three tips about using a highlighter, use a ring binder instead of a spiral or boundbook and, read assigned material and previous class notes before class are all important tips that we should follow if we want to be successful studies.

I try very hard to incorporate all three tips in my study habits.

Leonie Florestal

Anonymous said...

I follow the 3 suggestions at my class. I may try to apply to my daily life. I feel my memory just like my age, after it passed and never come back any more.

Suetto C.

Anonymous said...

I agreed with the tips given, especially the tip about reviewing notes before class start. In that way you can participate more in class.

These tips will definately be a part of good habits.

Thank you Ms Gates.

Allison.

Anonymous said...

I think these tips are very good, they can help us to organize our work and time. I practice using some of these tips, they help me to find importnt information quickly. I find that being prepared for my class makes me feel more confident in discussing the topic.

Karla Banton