Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Colon

The English language is interesting. There are countless ways to say the same statement. Many times, it just depends on your style of writing. Today, we're going to examine the colon, which is a type of punctuation. The colon looks like this : (two vertical dots). Generally, colons are used to show that a list will follow. Let's look at a two examples. You'll see that the same idea can be written with or without a colon. It just depends on the format you're most comfortable with!

Example 1.)
The guests brought many items: ice, soda, cookies, cake, and even napkins.
Or
The guests brought many items such as ice, soda, cookies, cake, and even napkins.
(Notice that the first sentence uses the colon to symbolize that the list of items will follow. The second sentence doesn't need a colon because it uses the phrase "such as." Both ways are correct.)

Example 2.)
Kevin had a lot to do tonight: study for his test, prepare lunch for his younger sister, and change the oil in his car.
Or
Kevin had a lot to do tonight. He was going to study for his test, prepare lunch for his younger sister, and change the oil in his car.
(Notice that the first sentence uses the colon to symbolize that the list of what Kevin has to do will follow. The second sentence doesn't need a colon because it has separated the thoughts into two complete sentences. Both ways are correct.)


Which way do you prefer? Take a moment and write a sentence that uses a colon. Then, write the same idea, but make your sentence (or sentences) so that no colon is needed.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer to use the colon as the items are more pronounced. I have a lot of things to do today: go to the bank, do my assignments, and prepare dinner.

I have a lot of things to do today. I have to go to the bank, do my assignments, and prepare dinner.

Verona

Anonymous said...

I will have a busy day doing the following:doing my assignments,picking up my son, and cleaning the house.

I will have a busy day doing the following, my assignments, picking up my son, and cleaning the house.


April S.

Anonymous said...

I would prefer to use a colon because allows you to use less words.

We purchased a new living room set: sectional sofa, coffee table, wall unit, two end tables and two lamps.

We purchased a new living room set that includes a sectional sofa, a coffee table, a wall unit, two end tables and two lamps.

Lia Muth

ladyginnm said...

We brought a lot of items for the party: ice cream, sodas, cake, and waters.

We brought a lot of items for the party such as ice cream, sodas, cake, and waters.

Marc had a busy day. He cleaned the dishes, done his home work, and prepared dinner.

Anonymous said...

I prefer to use the colon.It just look easier.

I have alot to do before I go to brunch with the girls: Get the baby ready for the sitter, Clean the house, and Pick up the clothes from the cleaners.

I have alot to do today before I go to brunch with the girls.I have to get the baby ready for the sitter, Clean the house, and pick up the clothes from the cleaners.

Angela Richardson

Angela B said...

I have several errands to do today: grocery shop, laundry, and study for the test.

I have several errands that I need to do today such as, buy grocey,do laundry, and study for my test.

Anonymous said...

The school’s cafeteria staff prepared lots of dishes for the students including: Macaroni and cheese, pizza, French fries, steak, and cake.

The school’s cafeteria staff prepared a lot of dishes for the students such as macaroni and cheese, pizza, French fries, steak, and cake.



SHENEA WALKER

Anonymous said...

I prefer the colon, it seems shorter.

Today I have a lot of things to do: rest, study, laundry, pack, carb load, and getting to sleep early.

Today I have a lot of this to do that include rest, study, laundry, pack, carb load, and getting to sleep early.

Melissa Lobsinger

Anonymous said...

The coat has many colors: red, yellow, blue, orange, green, and purple.

The coat has many colors including, red, yellow, blue, orange, green, and purple.

Deidra W.

CWillis said...

I was busy yesterday: bike riding, baby sitting, and braiding hair.

I was busy yesterday doing things like, bike riding, baby sitting, and braiding hair.

Anonymous said...

Saturdays are always busy for me: After work i have to do laundry, do grocery, and pack the grocery away. Saturdays are always busy for me. After work I have to do laundry, do grocery, and pack the grocery away. Verna B.

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow will be my day off. I will have to : clean my car, go see my doctor and cook diner.

For next week party we will need to bring only the cups, the drinks and the napkins.Se will take care of the rest


Mianta

Anonymous said...

I would like to order an Italian sub with: lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise, and green peppers.

I would like an Italian sub that includes lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise, and green peppers.

Maria C. Torres

Anonymous said...

1)For the annual Carnival I will provide many items: drinks, paper goods, store bought, and a cake.

2)For the annual Carnival I will provide items such as drinks, paper goods, store bought, and a cake.

February 22,2010


Roxana Alvarez

Anonymous said...

For my dessert I need: cake mix, eggs, oil, water, and a pan.

For my dessert I will need cake mix, eggs, oil, water, and a pan.

KByfield

Julissa said...

hi Ms. Gates I wasin Rowntree class in 2009-2010 and i wan to find a way of doing the class a gane and you email me at julierod26@hotmail.com
please.