Monday, February 22, 2010

The Semicolon

Semicolons can be thought of as being very, very similar to periods. They should only be used when what falls on either side of it is a complete thought. Let's look at an example of this!

Today has the most beautiful weather; I spent the whole day outside.

Each part is a complete thought (with a subject and a verb). You could say "Today has the most beautiful weather." That is fine. Then, you could start a new sentence and say "I spent the whole day in the pool." That is also fine. Each of those could be sentences on their own. However, if you'd like to keep them "connected," you can use the semicolon (like you see above).

Now it's your turn. I'd like you to write 2 separate sentences. Then, write those same thoughts as one sentence where there is a semicolon as the punctuation between them.

I'll start!
Separate: My cat is so tired. He spent the whole day sleeping on the comfortable chair.

Combined
:
My cat is so tired; he spent the whole day sleeping on the comfortable chair.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listening to rain is a form of relaxation. Everyone needs some form or type of relaxation technique.

Listening to rain is a form of relaxation; everyone needs some form or type of relaxation technique.

Listening to a harp, softly playing is soothing. It is harmonious to all.

Listening to a harp, softly playing is soothing; it is harmonious to all.

-Angel Aguerrazzi

Anonymous said...

Separate: Yesterday it rained all day. Today it was very sunny.

Combined: Yesterday it rained all day; today it was very sunny.

Maria C. Torres

Anonymous said...

Separate: The kids wanted to play. They played video games and later played at the park.

Combined: The kids wanted to play; they played video games and later played at the park.

Maria C. Torres

CWillis said...

I washed my hair today.
I'd put it off long enough.

I washed my hair today; I'd put it off long enough.

Angela B said...

Kathy had on a beautiful dress;the dress fit her well.

Kathy had on a beautiful dress. The dress fit her well.

Anonymous said...

Seperate: Today was a good day. My mom made me breakfast in bed.

Combined: Today was a good day; my mom made me breakfast in bed.

Kbyfield

Anonymous said...

My sister did not answer her phone when I called. She was taking another call

My sister did not answer her phone when I called; she was taking another call.

Deidra W.

Anonymous said...

My ankle is swollen and hurts. I decided to take a break from training.

My ankle is swollen and hurts: I decided to take a break from training.

Melissa Lobsinger

Anonymous said...

Today it was cold outside.
Tomorrow it will be cold outside.

Today it was cold outside; tomorrow it will be cold outside.


Shenea Walker

Anonymous said...

Seprate: The heel on my new shoes broke.I spent the whole afternoon looking for another pair that I like.

Combined: The heel on my new shoes broke; I spent the whole afternoon looking for another pair that i like.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

My grandson was so tired after that trip; he spent the whole afternoon sleeping.


Mianta

Anonymous said...

Separate:
My mother needs to lose weight. She spent two hours a day on the gym.
Combined:
My mother needs to lose weight; she spent two hours a day on the gym.

Roxana Alvarez

March 02,2010

Anonymous said...

It was steaming hot yesterday. Today it is freezing cold.

It was steaming hot yesterday; today it is freezing cold!


Lia Muth