Sunday, February 7, 2010

Stop & check the signal words!

When driving, people use signals all of the time. You turn your blinker on to turn left. Your brake lights illuminate when you brake to slow down or stop. The traffic light tells you when to go and when to stop.

In writing, too, signals are important. The signals come in the form of "signal" or "transition" words and those help the reader to follow the order of things. Here are a few examples of some signal words that you probably already use in your writing: "first," "then," "second," "next," "after that," "third," and "lastly." (That's not a complete list of signal words, but to see more of them, visit this URL: http://www.somers.k12.ny.us/intranet/reading/signalwords.html .)

Below you see some signal words that help with chronological order. Please look over that list, pick one or two of the words, and write a sentence for each that demonstrates how it could be used to help improve your writing.

after

afterward


when




not long after

during

finally


first




following

then

initially


later




meanwhile

next

before


now




on (date)

preceding

second


soon




immediately

third

today


until




as soon as

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today I will list all of my selections on paper.

First, I will list the reasons for my selction on this paper.


Shenea Walker

Anonymous said...

I need to catch up on my work.
First I will make a list of things that need to be done. After I have completed my list, I will do each assignment. Once the assignments are finished I will turn them in immediately.

Lia Muth

Anonymous said...

First I will wake up and train in the morning. Then I will take a shower and head into work.

Melissa Lobsinger

Anonymous said...

-As soon as I can I will be there.

-The third step is to put into the oven.


Roxana Alvarez
02/08/10

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow I have to work. Afterwards, I have to pick my son up from school. Later on that same day, I have to work on my assignments that are due on Sunday.

Maria C. Torres

Angela B said...

Today I will be presenting a presentation on theory.First, I will explain my theory. Next, I will demonstrate my theory. And, lastly I will to test my theory.

Anonymous said...

Today I will get all my work in order.
Next, I will get my internet hooked up.
Then, I will be ready to start my assignments, and get the work I need done and turned in immediately.


April S.

Unknown said...

After we finish the meeting, we will go to lunch. Then, we will start to work on the project.

Fernandez,Ana

Anonymous said...

The following are three steps I observe before test-driving an automatic car:
First I adjust my mirrors, second I position my seat, third I press my brakes, and finally I start the car.

Deidra W.

CWillis said...

As soon as I'm done writing, I immediately check for grammatical and spelling errors.

Anonymous said...

First, I am going to look at my presentation before I present it.

Later I am going to do my best informing my class.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

Jennifer immediately stopped the car after she saw the kitten in the road.


KByfield

Anonymous said...

First, I will make a list of things to be done. Then I will itemize those things that must be done today.


Verona