Monday, March 8, 2010

Commonly Misused Words: Break and Brake

Words that sound the same, but have different spellings and meanings are called "homonyms" or "homophones." In your writing, it's important to make sure that you use the right word. Remember that writing is a reflection of you and you always want to make a great impression, even with your readers!

The word "break" can be used as a verb or as a noun. Let's look at some examples. (The first two sentences use "break" as a verb, and the last two sentences use "break" as a noun.)

1.) If you drop the glass, it will break.
2.) The burglar was going to break into the neighbor's home.
3.) There will be a break between the morning and afternoon classes.
4.) Let's stop the car and take a break at the gas station.


Quite the opposite, though, is the word "brake." This word can also be used as a verb, noun, or adjective, but has very different meanings.

Verb Example: I had to brake hard to avoid hitting the skunk in the road.
Noun Example: Tim had the brakes replaced on his truck.
Adjective Example: Pep Boys will have brake pads on sale this week.

Notice that in all of those examples, there is some relation to a vehicle. (You could also talk about "brakes" on a bicycle, motorcycle, scooter, dirt bike, etc.)

Can you use those words in two sentences and use them correctly? Give it a try now!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Today I took a 15 minute break from work.

2) This evening I'm getting new brakes on my car.

Lia Muth

Anonymous said...

1. Did he break the law?

2. We replaced the brakes on the scooter.

Maria C. Torres

Anonymous said...

1-I was so tired that I had to take a break after three hours into this ordeal.


2-After some hesitation, he had to break his silence.


Mianta

Anonymous said...

Shari took a break from watching her kids.

Even though I pressed on my brakes, I hit the car in front of me.


KByfield

Anonymous said...

The biker had to squeeze his brakes hard to avoid running into the turning car.

Sometimes I have to watch what I put on my shelves because my cats will break anything.


Melissa Lobsinger

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid to drive above than 35mph because I not looking for any problems when I brake.

I have been working so long at my current job I can not wait to take my annual break.


SHENEA WALKER

Anonymous said...

-The ball breaks my neighborhood’s glass.
-The motorcycle almost smashes in the fence, because the brakes were broken.

Roxana Alvarez

March 16, 2010

Anonymous said...

1. The child tried to break away from his mother's hand.

2. Sometimes a 15 minute break isn't long enough.

CWillis