Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Writing - Compound Words

A compound word is one that has two parts to it. Think of the word "pancake." That's a compound word made by combining the terms "pan" and "cake." So why is it important to know about compound words? Well, like many of the things we've discussed, the more correct your words and writing are, the more effective you'll be in getting your ideas across to the reader!

Test your knowledge of compound words. Try this activity and see how you do! Did you know all of them? Did you know most of them? Pick out your favorite compound word from the activity and use it in a sentence.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mailbox- Take this letter to the mailbox.

Toolbox- Put all of these tools back in the toolbox.


April S.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to share this activity with my daughter (9) and niece (6). I got 10/10-the best! My favorite compound word from the activity was blueberry.

I love blueberry pancakes!

Lia Muth

Anonymous said...

Cupcake - My daughter and I love cupcakes.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

This is a very fun exercise. I got them all wright from the first try.

In the summer,I eat a lot of watermelon to keep cool.

Mianta

Anonymous said...

This exercise is enjoyable, and I got all right.

My favorite compound word is "toothbrush".

My toothbrush is battery-powered.

Deidra W

Anonymous said...

Velvet cupcakes are my favorite.


Kbyfield

Anonymous said...

I like milkshake. I was sunburm. V Bartley.

Anonymous said...

I knew all of them.

Watermelon's and Blueberries are my favorite fruits.


Melissa Lobsinger

Anonymous said...

I got all the answers right.YES!

Downstairs - I had to go downstairs to get some water.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

My final score was 100% and my favorite compound word was blueberry. How cute is the little berry?

SHENEA WALKER

Anonymous said...

Well I did pretty well 100%, all of them were very familiar to me, so I did the game very fast; it was fun.

-My daughter’s favorite dessert is cupcake.

Roxana Alvarez

March 16, 2010

CWillis said...

Water-melon is my favorite fruit!

Anonymous said...

Upstairs- My son is upstairs in his room.
Dorothea M.

Unknown said...

Downstairs- My desk is downstairs.

watermelon- Watermelon is delicious fruit to eat in summer.


Ana Maria fernandez

Kelly Tymecki said...

Sunshine- It makes me smile when I wake up and there is so much sunshine outside.