Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Writing Terminology

No matter what test you're doing (GED, FCAT, SAT, etc.), there are some basic terms associated with essay writing. In fact, if you've ever attended one of the online workshops about essay writing, you've probably heard these terms used.

Try this Quia "Rags to Riches" game that tests your knowledge of writing terminology. It's ok if you don't know all of the terms; for those that you don't know, however, consider writing them down and making flash cards to help you learn them!

Once you complete the game, come back here & blog about your results. Was this a review for you or did you learn something new? What terms (if any) were you not familiar with, but learned after doing the activity? What was your final score? Did you enjoy this activity?

Quia game link: http://www.quia.com/rr/311270.html

(Please note that although this game is referencing the FCAT test, everything presented is still 100% valid for those who are not doing the FCAT. Feel free to share this with any friends or relatives who are working on their FCAT writing skills, as this can help them too.)

Have fun!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was fun! I just won $1,000,000! I was actually surprised in my results for this game. I got every single answer right on my first try. Goes to show that I know my writing terminology!

Lia Muth

Anonymous said...

I like this game.I got 32,000.I really made me think,read and to take my time.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

That was a fun game.I score 1,000,000 on the first try.For me it was like a review.The only word that was new to me was Expository but I had the right meaning for it.I also know my writing terminology!


Mianta

Anonymous said...

I found the game to be easy until I got to the words I didnt know. I played the game twice. I got 32,000both times. The first word I missed was Conventions, and the second was Transitions.


KByfield

Anonymous said...

This was a good review. I got them all right but had to stop and think on a few.

Melissa Lobsinger

Anonymous said...

I still like this game.This time I scored 250,000.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

I recieved $1,000,000 and was familar with the game and text. I could see myself enjoying the game.

SHENEA WALKER

Anonymous said...

The final result after a few mistakes was 1’000,000, for me was a game where I did learn some terminology used in the essays, and also it was a review of some of them.
I was not familiar with: expository, off topic, revise, writing plan, unimportant detail, focus, transition, supporting detail, specific, subtopic.
I know now in detail what is the mean of each part of the essay, because those mention above are the names, in this game you learn a lot about the parts of the essay, also you have a lot fun learning in this way.

Roxana Alvarez

March 16, 2010

Anonymous said...

I won the big $1,000,000! That was fun. I thought the definitions were easy. If you read them first you could figure which one goes with the main word.

CWillis