Monday, March 15, 2010

Commonly Misused Words: Which and Witch

Halloween won't be here for a while, but that's ok! This next blog post is about the words "witch" and "which." These words, like many others that we'll discuss during the "Commonly Misused Words" topics, are homonyms or homophones. They're pronounced almost identically, but have very different meanings. Let's look at each one a bit closer!

The word "witch" is meant to be used when describing the Halloween character who has the pointy hat, pointy shoes, and rides a broom. It can also be used to describe a nasty, mean-spirited person.

The word "which" can be used as a pronoun, as in the example below.
"Which of these should we buy?"

It can also be used as an adjective, shown in the example below.
"I spent the day at the mall, during which time my car was being fixed."

Probably the easiest way to remember this is to ask yourself if you're talking about a person or character, similar to what you see in the picture below. If that's not what you mean, then go with the word "which."


Can you write two sentences that show how to use the words "witch" and "which" correctly? Give it a try now!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which pair of shoes do you think I should buy?

That cashier was a witch, she had no customer service skills at all.

Lia Muth

CWillis said...

1. I got lost because I didn't know which way to turn.

2. Did you see how that witch looked at me?

Anonymous said...

Which dress are you wearing to the party on Friday?

Anne Hathaway played the good witch in Alice in Wonderland.

KByfield

Anonymous said...

I would like to tour the great house, but it gives me a scary feeling when I read that the white witch of Rose Hall still haunts the great house.

Which of the two dresses would you rather wear to the prom?

DeidraW

Anonymous said...

Which road should we take to get there faster?

The witch made a potion to make him laugh a lot.

Maria C. Torres

Anonymous said...

Which hair stylist am I going to go to tomorrow.

No that witch didn't take my parking spot.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

The play's main character is the evil witch from The Wizard of Oz.

I only have 20 minutes left for lunch and I am still trying to figure out which snack I would like to eat.

SHENEA WALKER

Anonymous said...

-Which part of the play do you have?
- The woman behaves like witch.

Roxana Alvarez

March 23, 2010

Anonymous said...

Which one of you is going to take your sister to school?

Whenever my friends go on a vacation to Montego Bay they always visit the white witch of Rose Hall.

Dorothea M.