Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Semicolon

Semicolons can be thought of as being very, very similar to periods. They should only be used when what falls on either side of it is a complete thought. Let's look at an example of this!

Today has the most beautiful weather; I spent the whole day in the pool.

Each part is a complete thought (with a subject and a verb). You could say "Today has the most beautiful weather." That is fine. Then, you could start a new sentence and say "I spent the whole day in the pool." That is also fine. Each of those could be sentences on their own. However, if you'd like to keep them "connected," you can use the semicolon (like you see above).

Now it's your turn. I'd like you to write 2 separate sentences. Then, write those same thoughts as one sentence where there is a semicolon as the punctuation between them.

I'll start!
Separate: My cat is so tired. He spent the whole day sleeping on the comfortable chair.

Combined
:
My cat is so tired; he spent the whole day sleeping on the comfortable chair.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend took me to The Bodies Exibition last night. It was a great expieriance to learn about bodies and actually see them.

My boyfriend took me to The Bodies Exibition last night; it was a great expieriance to learn about bodies and actually see them.

-Jolene H

Anonymous said...

I've been cleaning house today and doing laundry. It is so nice to have compleated so much today!

I've been clenaing house and doing laundry today; it's so nice to have compleated so much today!


Rebekah W.

Anonymous said...

I cleaned off the dinner table that was full of papers. It was ready to eat dinner.

I cleaned off the dinner table that was full of papers;it was ready to eat dinner.


Luz Croce

Anonymous said...

This week was really crazy for me.I am going out with my friends this weekend.

This week was really crazy for me;I am going out with my friends this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I did like posting comments in this blog. It was very helpful.

I did like posting comments in this blog; it was very helpful.

Anonymous said...

We bought a new washer and dryer; today, I will do the laundry.

Geraldine G.

Anonymous said...

I like going to the movies. My family and I saw Indiana Jones this weekend.

I like going to the movies; my family and I saw Indiana Jones this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Last night was full moon. We sat on the back patio in the glow of the moon.

Last night was full moon; We sat on the back patio in the glow of the moon.

Anonymous said...

That rose is the most beautiful shade of red; The shade of red is so vibrant.

That rose is the most beautiful shade of red.
The shade of red is so vibrant.

Archarna j.

Anonymous said...

"The Semicolon"

The kids were really hungry today. So I cooked a three course meal for dinner.

The kids were really hungry today; so I cooked a three course meal for dinner.

-Angelica