Thursday, August 28, 2008

Writing - Using Hyphens Correctly (Part 1)

The next few blog posts will focus on when hyphens should be used in writing. As you know, the English language has lots of rules and even more exceptions to those rules. But learning when to use a hyphen and, just as important, when not to use it will make your writing even better! (These rules can be found at the Online Writing Lab (OWL) by Purdue University.)

Rule 1: Use a hyphen to avoid confusion or an awkward combination of letters.

Example: You can re-sign a petition. (Meaning to sign again)
Note: No hyphen is needed in the word "resign" as in resigning from a job. (Meaning to officially quit or leave your job.)
Reason: The hyphen helps with correct pronunciation of "re-sign."

Example: A teenager may be semi-independent. (The hyphen is used because without it, you'd have the letters "ii" right next to each other and that may make it hard to know what term it is.
Note: No hyphen is needed in the word "semiconscious."
Reason: Use a hyphen when you have two of the same letters next to each other with each word part.
Additional examples: The word "shell-like" needs the hyphen, but the word "childlike" does not.

What do you think about this rule? Is it something you'll be able to apply in your writing? Did you already know this rule before today's blog entry?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guest hyphens are use so we can understand the exact context in which the word is being use.I mostly use it at the end of the line in between syllables.
I will definitely apply it in my writing.

Indira H.

Anonymous said...

I did not know the rules about hypen, but now that you explained
it I will defineatly have a better
understanding of how to use it.

Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

I did not know when to use a hyphen and when not to. That has always been confusing to me. It makes sense to avoid awkward letter combinations and to avoid confusion, as with re-sign.

Anonymous said...

Yes,I did know this rule and it always jumps out at you if you do not use it correctly.If it is not used correctly the way it looks tells you straight away that it is not correct.


Michele T.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know the rules about hyphen, until today. Now, I understand better. I am going to try to apply in my writing.

luz croce

Anonymous said...

I did not know how to use correctly until today. I will try it to apply it.

Maria Rodriguez-Trelles

Anonymous said...

Yes,I do know and understand when to use a hyphen. However it is always good to review every once in a while.

Anonymous said...

Writing-Using Hyphens Correctly (Part1)

Hyphens can be easy or hard according to how or when you need to use them. I understand how to use them but not so much when.

Angelica Walker

Anonymous said...

This rule on hyphens is something many of us practice without realizing it. It's great to now feel semi-intelligent (Ha!) when it comes to correct use of grammar and punctuation! Your tips on hyphens makes it all a little less confusing.

- Angelia M.

Anonymous said...

I have always been pretty good with writing but I always kind of guessed on where to use a hyphen and when not to.I dont know if there is a "strict rule" on where you should put one.That is a very interesting thing to know about them.

Anonymous said...

I learn about that today,I always guessed on where to use a hyphen.I definetly practice it!

Anonymous said...

I think this rules made sense,each ones of the reason show in this article were easy to understand. I think so I will be able to apply it in my writing. I never heard before about this rules, they were very helpful.

October 17, 2009

Roxana Alvarez