Thursday, August 14, 2008

Usage - Who versus That

The July 30th blog post discussed when to use the word "who" versus when to use "whom." (For more information on this or to participate in that entry, click the underlined link above.) There's also an important distinction between when to use the word "who" and when to use "that." Let's look at two examples first and then discuss why each one is written as it is.

Example 1: She is the girl who won the gold medal.

Example 2: Here is the house that is for sale.

It's probably pretty easy to see why the word "that" is used in example 2. Because there's no person mentioned, it wouldn't make sense to use the word "who" instead of "that."

But why is it that the word "who" is used in example 1? Well, look at the phrase "won the gold medal." That is talking about the girl and she's a person! So that means we need to use the word "who." Anytime you're talking about something relating to a person, always use the word "who" (never the word "that" since it's grammatically incorrect).

Let's look at a few more examples of when to use "who" versus "that."

The principal who gave the speech at the ceremony also won an award.
The pool that the kids use is over there.
Tim's teacher who often stays late at school is always available for extra help.
His computer that caught fire damaged the whole kitchen area.

Are those rules something that you already knew? Are they things that you currently do in your writing? If not, do you think you could start to do that with your writing? Let me know!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

mirlene - comment
The teacher who was standing at the coner, was the best one, in that school.

Anonymous said...

The baker who wears a heavy gold chain on his neck is the best one in our country.

The house that has a beautiful garden is forceclose.

Suetto C.

Anonymous said...

These rules I have been using but unconscious that I was using a rule. Most of the time they just sound correct or make sense when you read them back.
When you say,"Who was that." It just sound right.
When you say,"That was wonderful!" It just sounds right.


Michele T.

Anonymous said...

There goes the girl, who won the spelling bee competition.


Mary told me that she will be leaving town.


Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

.Anya is the one who rescued the bird.

.I do not trust editorials that claim racial differences in intelligence.

Adriana Wagner

Anonymous said...

The woman, who is talking to my son, is his second grade teacher.

The carved wood table that is in my house, was bought in this store.

Geraldine G.

Anonymous said...

I think I avoid using these words when I can. For instance, when you used the example "His computer that caught fire damaged the whole kitchen area." I think of "His computer caught fire and damaged the whole kitchen area." Is my example correct? Can I say "This house is for sale" instead of "Here is the house that is for sale"? I am more comfortable using "who" and use it regularly.

Anonymous said...

Yes, these are rules that I already knew.However,I forgot exactly why. I will certainly be a little more conscious when reading, writing and speaking.

Indira H

Anonymous said...

He was the person who the teacher referred to.

Maria Rodriguez-Trelles

Anonymous said...

I have never really used the "who versus that" in my sentences. I will make a special effort to use them in my sentences in the furture.

Anonymous said...

The waiter who is serving at my table is my neighbour. His house that is next to our development's swimming pool has been painted in yellow.

Suetto C.

Anonymous said...

I never knew that those were rules, but I do use them in my writing.

Melissa Lobsinger