Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Commonly Misused Words: Knew and New

Three different blog posts, prior to today's post, focused on some commonly misused words. (You can visit the July 9th post, the July 15th post, or the July 22nd post if you'd like to see those topics and participate in the activities.) Today, we'll focus on the words "knew" and "new."

The word "knew" is the past tense of the verb "know." It means having knowledge or understanding of something in the past. For example, I knew that the Olympics would begin on August 8th.

The word "new" is an adjective. This word has many meanings, but a commonality is in the fact that it's used to describe something that's recent, fresh, or unused. For example, I may need to buy a new home computer soon and get some new paper for my printer.

Let's look at the sentence below.
Carol knew that her brother needed some new shoes for school.

Those words ("knew" and "new") could not be switched correctly. Carol had knowledge (in the past) that her brother needed some fresh, unused shoes.

Now that you've had a chance to explore the meanings of those words, try using them correctly! You can either write two separate sentences that illustrate the word's meaning or you can write one sentence (like I did above) that uses both words correctly.

:-)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We knew it would rain today.

I bought a new car last month.

Anonymous said...

I knew he would forget to buy the dog food.

Johnny traded his antique camera to a new digital camera.

Suetto C.

Anonymous said...

Bridget knew that she had to go to work today. I bought my first new car when I was twenty six.

Kellie Butler

Anonymous said...

I knew Barbara was comming over.

I bought a new pair of shoes for my birthday.


Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

Commonly Misused Words: Knew and New

Linda knew that she had to close tonight, so she took her time while she cleaned her section.

I get so excited about going to new and unexplored places.

-Angelica

Anonymous said...

I knew that if I wore my new shoes to the dance that I would end up with blisters,and I did!

Anonymous said...

I knew that if I wore my new shoes to the dance,I would get blisters,and I did!



Michele T.

Alicia said...

I knew my check was incorrect as soon as I receive it.

Last week I purchase a new television.

Alicia

Anonymous said...

She knew that you came back to buy those shoes.

The new dress you bought for Betty's party is beautiful.

Geraldine G.

Anonymous said...

They knew that it would be too expensive to buy a new car.

Anonymous said...

I decided to cover my new outdoor furniure because I knew it was going to rain.

Indira H

Anonymous said...

*We knew the answer before he said it.

*I bought new pencils for today's session.

Maria Rodriguez-Trelles