Monday, April 26, 2010

Commas- The Best Trick!

The English language has so many rules and even more exceptions to those rules. This is especially true of rules relating to comma usage in writing. Rather than go over all of those rules, I'm going to share with you my favorite "trick" for writing. You're going to love it!

Writing and speaking are very closely related. If you have a sentence and don't know if a comma is needed, read your sentence out loud. Pay close attention to where you naturally tend to pause. That's where a comma is probably needed!!! Let's try it now.

Read the sentence (shown below) out loud and see where you pause.

While flipping channels I came across a new television show.

I bet you paused after the phrase "while flipping channels." That gives you an indication to put a comma at that point in the sentence. Doing so, you'd end up with this: "While flipping channels, I came across a new television show."The next time you're unsure if a comma is needed, try this trick!

In fact, reply to this post and tell me if you think it will help you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

When writing, I tend to misplace my commas. This post will definitely help. Thank you!

Maria C. Torres

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, when writing I still misplace or don't even put commas in there place. This will help refresh my memory.



Cassandra Jones

Anonymous said...

I think so the tip is true, I did try, you were complete right about writing and speaking is very closely related. When you begin to read any letter, or long document and you have to catch your breath, you are aware of a comma is needed.


Roxana Alvarez

Anonymous said...

While writing commas are very difficult, reading them out loud can definitely help you.

Yes, I do think this tip is a very good idea, but sometimes I still second guess myself. I'm hoping I got this one correct.



SHENEA WALKER

CWillis said...

This is definitely a good idea. My husband will appreciate this trick. He normally lets his sentences fun on for day LOL! I have to proofread anything he intends to send out.

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I've always done, it definitely helps!

Melissa Lobsinger

Kelly Tymecki said...

When I get upset, I tend to cry for a long time. I like using commas and I thought that this little exercise is good practice.

Anonymous said...

This tip definetly helps me alot. Reading the work out load can really help you see were a comma is needed.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

After this post, I’ve been practicing the tip.

Maria C. Torres

5/3/2010

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great tip. I read the sentence aloud and placed the comma in the right place as you suggested. Thank you very much.

Verona H