Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Usage- "A" versus "An"

In grammar, the terms "a" and "an" are referred to as indefinite articles. They're used before singular nouns. But what's the difference and how do you know which one to use? In most instances, the article "a" can be used. The exception, however, comes when the noun that follows starts with a vowel (the letters 'a,' 'e,' 'i,' 'o,' and 'u').

Let's look at some examples!

1.) I borrowed a book from the library.
2.) A thunderstorm is predicted for tomorrow.
3.) Did you see a movie this weekend?

4.) An elephant was part of the circus.
5.) My sister packed an umbrella in her car.
6.) Did you taken an English class this year?

How good do you think you are at using "a" and "an" correctly?

Test your skills by playing the "Rags to Riches" game found here: http://www.quia.com/rr/53245.html. Then, come back & report how you did. Don't forget to include your thoughts on the activity. Was it fun? Did you challenge yourself? Would you recommend this activity to others who'd like to practice their "a" versus "an" skills?

14 comments:

Kelly Tymecki said...

I found that the game was very easy as I already know how to use a and an correctly. I quickly scored up to the $1,000,000 mark in a few minutes. Even though I already know how to use these words right, I still found the game refreshing and fun.

Kelly Tymecki

Anonymous said...

I thought the game was very easy. I scored all the way up to $1,000,000 in minutes, in matter of fact, I played it twice. I would recommend to anyone who needs to refresh their memories
on a and an.


Cassandra Jones

Anonymous said...

I got them all correctly. They do try to confuse you with the "nothing" answer, but you just have to read it through.

Melissa Lobsinger

Anonymous said...

I made 250,000 points, I think this activity is a wonderful way to learn how to use a and an, they give you sentences where you can figured out is you should or not to apply the article, it was a fun you learn and have a good time learning making points. I did try to get to the top, but I miss some of them, I do really recommend this game to everybody it is fun.

Roxana Alvarez

Anonymous said...

I made 250,000 points, I think this activity is a wonderful way to learn how to use a and an, they give you sentences where you can figured out is you should or not to apply the article, it was a fun you learn and have a good time learning making points. I did try to get to the top, but I miss some of them, I do really recommend this game to everybody it is fun.

Roxana Alvarez

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the game. It's always good to refresh your knowledge.

Maria C. Torres

Anonymous said...

This game refresh me when I have to use a and an .. I got the hight scored. It was fun.

sandra diodati


















sandra diodati

Anonymous said...

I finished the whole entire game and I even enjoyed it.

Dorothea M

Anonymous said...

I like this game.I only got 250,ooo though.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

It was a very interesting game and somewhat challenging. In the beginning I found it to be difficult but I overcame the challenge. No, I would not recommend this game to someone who may be having problems with this particular English lesson, because I do not think it will help them learn the lesson.


SHENEA WALKER

Anonymous said...

I scored $1,000,000 points. The game was fun!

CWillis said...

I scored $1,000,000. The game was fun and I enjoyed it! It was also really easy.

Anonymous said...

The game was a quick and easy refresher's lesson on how to use 'a' and 'an' in the correct way. I scored $1,000,000.

Verona H

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed playing the game even my six year old daughter were playing along with me.And I scored up to $1,000,000 points.

Dorothea M.