Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Writing-Compound Sentences

The next type of sentence to discuss is the compound sentence.

To help you remember what this is, think of a compound word like "sandpaper." A compound word is made from two individual (or independent) words that are joined together. Similarly, a compound sentence has two parts to it and each is an independent clause.

Independent clauses are complete thoughts that could stand on their own (if separated).
There are two key things to remember with compound sentences. First, you will always have a comma used at the end of the first independent clause. Then, immediately after the comma, you will have a connector or conjunction (such as for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) used.

You can remember those connectors by using the acronym FANBOYS, which comes from the first letter of each of those connecting words. (Isn't that neat?!)

Let's look at some examples of compound sentences. These use the most common connectors.

1.) Today is Monday, and tomorrow I have off of work.
2.) Roxana was listening to the radio, but the power went out.
3.) The calendar is on the wall, so you can mark your birthday on it.

Notice that each sentence has two complete thoughts. For the first example, you could have separated the thoughts. If you did that, you could have written this. "Today is Monday. Tomorrow I have off of work." If you write the thoughts separately, you have two simple sentences!

If you keep the thoughts together and use the connector "and," then you need to have a comma before the connector. Plus, if you read that sentence out loud, you pause after the first thought, so that's another indicator that a comma is needed.

To practice joining the independent clauses, play this Quia game.

Then, come back here & write two compound sentences to tell us how you did and if you enjoyed it!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

1.-I did play the Quia game "Compound Sentences," and I did score 10 points.

2.- The easy way to remember the conjunctions is through the acronym “ FANBOYS,” and I really enjoy the game about "Compound Sentences".

Roxana Alvarez

Anonymous said...

I got 8 out of 10 questions right, but it was a good learning experience.

It was teaching how to use conjunctions in sentences to make a compound sentence.


Cassandra Jones

Anonymous said...

I played the and I got 8 out of 10 right.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

I scored a ten out of ten and found this game to be very unique; I liked it.

1. The wind is blowing hard, but the sun makes it very hot.

2. Is the beach fun on a windy and hot day, or is it dangerous due to the rip currents?


SHENEA WALKER

CWillis said...

I scored a 10.
I'm going walking today, but not until the sun goes down.

The game was easy to play, but I wish it had more questions.

Anonymous said...

My score was 10 out of 10, but the game makes you think.

English is one of my favorite subjects, so I enjoyed this game.

Melissa Lobsinger

Anonymous said...

I played the Quia game, and got all the answers correct.

I enjoyed playing the game, as compound sentences play an important role in writing.

Verona H

Anonymous said...

Playing this game was really fun. I got 9 out of 10 correct.

Maria C. Torres

5/17/2010

Anonymous said...

1-The Quia game was easy, and I scored 10 points.

Today, I learned a new acronym"FANBOYS," and I am going to pass it on.

Mianta

Anonymous said...

My score was 9 out of 10 questions.. I took my time for anwered each questions.

I like go to the beach, but my son prefer the pool.
sandra diodati

Kelly Tymecki said...

When I played the game, I got 9 out of 10 questions correct. Compound sentences are easy for me so that is why I got most of them right. I felt the game was a good review to brush up on some essential skills.

Anonymous said...

I played the game and I received 7 out of 10.
ANgela Richardson