Monday, May 10, 2010

Writing-Simple Sentences

The next few blog topics are going to focus on different types of sentences.

The first one that you'll use is the simplest out of all sentence types. The "simple sentence" is exactly what it sounds like. It has a subject and a verb, but no dependent or independent clauses to worry about.

Below are a few examples of simple sentences.

1.) The newspaper was delivered today.
2.) Sunday was Mother's Day.
3.) Sheridan Technical Center has a graduation ceremony in June.
4.) Blue is a good color for you.
5.) Melissa brought water and a snack to the marathon.

Notice that a simple sentence is not always a short sentence, as you saw in the third and fifth examples. However, a simple sentence has just one thought to it. There are no connection of thoughts with words like "and," "however," "but," etc. (You can have a connection of items in a simple sentence. This would be similar to what you saw in example number five.)

By using simple sentences, you can focus on the other important aspects of your writing: correct capitalization, punctuation, and subject-verb agreement.Tell me about what you did today. In two or three simple sentences, share your activities. Remember the characteristics of simple sentences as we discussed above and show me what you can do!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thursday was another very busy day for me.
I was working since 9:30 am to 5:30 pm.
On Thursday evening I was cooking, cleaning, and working in my homework for the rest of the semester.

Roxana Alvarez

Anonymous said...

On Thursday, I started back to work. It felt great seeing everyone at work. After work, I started on some homework for school.

Cassandra Jones

Anonymous said...

1. I worked on my VPI lessons yesterday.

2. I heard VCWM is having a revival Sunday.

3. I'm reading a book today.



SHENEA WALKER

CWillis said...

I woke up at 10am this morning. I got up to eat breakfast my husband cooked. My morning is going great so far!

Anonymous said...

Sunday is my lazy day. My boyfriend and I just enjoy eachother's company. Today is the one day I'm able to sleep in.

Melissa Lobsinger

Anonymous said...

Today is another hectic day for me. Monday morning at work is exceptionally busy. I will then see my Doctor this afternoon.

Verona H

Anonymous said...

1. In the morning I took my son to school.

2. I went to work.

3. I am writting my blogs now.

Maria C. Torres

5/17/2010

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, my sister came to visit me.She brought some nice gifts from home. I was glad to learn that everybody is doing fine. Next Sunday, I plan to take her to the mall.

Mianta

Kelly Tymecki said...

I woke up early in the morning. I went on the computer and did work. After working, I went to the park for a walk.

Anonymous said...

We had a Graduation Ceremony at our church yesterday. Everyone who graduated this school year participated.

Verona

Anonymous said...

Today was a relaxing day for me. I went to church today. After church I stopped by the store.

Angela B.