Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Writing Terminology

No matter what test you're doing (GED, FCAT, SAT, TABE etc.), there are some basic terms associated with essay writing. In fact, if you've ever attended one of the online workshops about essay writing, you've probably heard these terms used.

Try this Quia "Rags to Riches" game that tests your knowledge of writing terminology. It's ok if you don't know all of the terms; for those that you don't know, however, consider writing them down and making flash cards to help you learn them!

Once you complete the game, come back here & blog about your results.

Was this a review for you or did you learn something new? What terms (if any) were you not familiar with, but learned after doing the activity? What was your final score? Did you enjoy this activity?Quia game link: http://www.quia.com/rr/311270.html

(Please note that although this game is referencing the FCAT test, everything presented is still 100% valid for those who are not doing the FCAT. Feel free to share this with any friends or relatives who are working on their FCAT writing skills, as this can help them too.)

Have fun!!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I play four times,in the last one I score 64,000;the words were kind of unfamiliar for me, but I was guessing in some of them, it was fun, now I know their meanings, for me was a review, and recall some of them.
The words with more difficult were:

Expository: issues involved, or a commentary on a written text discussing its meaning and implications.

Narrative: the art or process of telling a story or giving an account of something.

Roxana Alvarez

Anonymous said...

I went and played the game. On the first try, I had hit the million dollar mark.It was like a review for me.I enjoyed it.

Mianta

Anonymous said...

I play two times . My last score was 128,000 some of the words very familiar for me but some of them I had think a lot when I answered . I like this kind of game because I learned worlds I didn't know the meaning.
sandra diodati

Angela B said...

I enjoyed playing the game. I scored 8,000 points. I played twice the first time I can't remember my score because I didn't do so well. The question that I missed was "what it Focus in writing".

Angela B.

Anonymous said...

In the beginning of the game I got one wrong and had to start over, but I completed the game with a correct score. During the third to last question I had to use two hints to eliminate one possible answer. It's a good game.

SHENEA WALKER

Kelly Tymecki said...

I played the game three times. I had reached all the way to the top level all three times. The game was generally easy for me as I already knew the material but I still had fun anyway.

Anonymous said...

This was a review for me. I think this game might have been in a past blog. I got them all correct.

Melissa Lobsinger

Anonymous said...

I played the game and scored 32,000. It shocked me.I thoughtthat I was going to get a lower score.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

I played about four times, which I scored about 128,000 on the last try. I guessed on some of the answers and got it right. It was fun playing. Also, you are learning the meanings of the words.


Cassandra Jones

Anonymous said...

I played the game and scored 1,ooo,ooo.I shocked myself.The last time I played I received 32,000.WoW

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

I won 1,000,000 points on the second try. This was a very entertaining game.

Maria C. Torres

CWillis said...

I made it to the top with 1,000,000 points. I had to stop and think about them for a minute. I recalled this section from helping my grandson study for the writing part of the FCAT. The game was interesting and I'm going to let him play to see if he remembered. He past the 4th grade FCAT!!!!

Anonymous said...

I played the game several times because I wanted to see all the terminologies. It was a great exercise; I finally scored 1,000,000.

Verona

Anonymous said...

I played the game I scored 100,000. I scored better this time then last time I played it several weeks ago.

Angela B.