Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Usage - Who versus Whom

Have you ever wondered when to use the word "who" and when to use the word "whom" in your writing? I have and finally decided to find out when to use one instead of the other.

If you're using the word "whom," it must follow a preposition. (For more information on prepositions, click here.) Below are two examples of this.

To whom would you like to speak?
From whom did that package arrive?


If you're not using a preposition (such as the word "to" or "from"), you should use the word "who" instead. Below are two examples of this.

Who was on the phone?
You went to the mall to see who?

*** You want to stay away from ending a sentence with a preposition (such as the word "to," "from," or "at"). Those are big grammatical no-no's! ***

Did you know about those rules for using the words "who" and "whom" in your writing and speaking? If so, who taught you that? If not, do you think you will start practicing to use these terms as you see described here? Let me know!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I heard about it through my sister in law, but I never tried attempting because I was scared that I might misuse. Now that I understand on how to apply that word I will more often.

Anonymous said...

I did not know about the rules for using the words "who" and "whom", but I will definitely practice to use them on a day to day basis.


Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

I did not know that there was a right and wrong way to say or write that word.I have the same question about another phrase.I always say "me and Nancy."Is that not correct?Is it supposed to be "Nancy and I"?

Anonymous said...

Yes,I was taught this some time ago.Whenever I use these words I always hesitate and make sure I am using them correctly.

Michele T.

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a proper way to use who and whom in a sentence but I forgot how to use the two words. Now I will properly use the words to whom ever I speak with.

Archarna Jones

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am aware of the rules when using the words "who" and "Whom". I was taught the correct use of these words in school. Nowever I find myself not really using "whom" in everyday sentences.

Anonymous said...

I learned when they were used in High School. I had forgoten about the use of prepositions because I don't use "whom" in my everyday language. I did try to "click here" for more information on prepositions but nothing came up.

Alicia said...

Yes, I learn how to use those word back in Jamaica but after a while forget all about how to apply it.


Alicia

Anonymous said...

I did not know but I try to use them carefully.

Maria Rodriguez-Trelles

Anonymous said...

I have occasionally seen whom used, but to be honest, not that frequently. When I have seen it used I really did not know why it was used and in what situation it would be used of instead of who.

-Judith B

Anonymous said...

I did not know about the rule for using the word "whom". Now that I have learned the rule, I can comfortably use this word in sentences.

Leonie Florestal

Anonymous said...

Mirlene

to whom it may concern.

Who is that girl.

Anonymous said...

I did not heard about those rules for the word who and whom.

I will definitely read it over and over for it to tick so I can use them correctly.

Allison.

Anonymous said...

No, I did not know the difference between the two, and yes, I will be using them in the future in there correct form.

SHENEA WALKER

Anonymous said...

Thanks, to this blog I learn a rule to use correctly the word Whom, let me tell you this was a confusing part in my writing now I know how to applied.

October 13, 2009

Roxana Alvarez

Anonymous said...

Yes, I learn this two words in my Language class on-line, but in this blog is more easy to apply those two words because, the rule that is given is so simple, when you use whom should be follow a preposition.In other hand you have to use who.

Roxana Alvarez

01/22/10