Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Writing - Using Hyphens Correctly (Part 5)

As we continue on with our blog discussions about using hyphens correctly, we reach part 5. (Who knew there were this many "rules" for hyphen usage? I certainly didn't!)

Rule: Use a hyphen between a prefix and a capitalized word. (Remember that a prefix is a word part that comes at the beginning of the word. For more information on prefixes and to see a list of some common ones, click this link or this one!)

Examples:
My mother loves to study the pre-Civil War era.
Charlie spilled spaghetti sauce on his white T-shirt.
When it comes to computers, I am very pro-Dell.
Some parts of the world have anti-American feelings.

Tell me what you think about this rule for hyphens? Does it seem logical? Do you think you can incorporate it into your writing (when necessary)? Did you know about this rule before? Have you seen this used correctly in other things you've read lately?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I become confused with hyphens. For instance, when looking for prefixes in one of the links, I found Pan-Hellenic and neo-liberal. Wouldn't it be pan-Hellenic and neo-Liberal? I also found transatlantic. It seems logical to me to use Trans-atlantic, with the prefix capitalized and not as one single word.

I do understand pre-, post-, and anti-, they do make sense to me. Why do we use T-shirt and not t-Shirt?

Because we have been studying hyphens, I will definitely be looking for them and looking for how they are used.

Anonymous said...

Writing-Using Hyphens Correctly(Part5)

Most women after giving birth goes through a stage call post-pardum depression.

Angelica walker

Anonymous said...

Writing-Using Hyphens Correctly(Part5)

Most women after giving birth goes through a stage call post-pardum depression.

Angelica walker

Anonymous said...

The rule for using hyphens does seems logical,I never knew about this rule before, but I will certianly incoperate It in my writing and reading.

Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

I am confused with ths rule. I read:
The Italian- American community soon embraced Tony Michelli as one of their own.
Keith Gessen, a first-generation Russian American, has spent time in
Moscow.

Luz Croce

Kim Gates said...

Luz, that topic that you brought up is actually going to be our next blog topic about hyphens! I think after going over it there, you'll have a better understanding of the rule behind that particular usage of a hyphen.


Kim

Anonymous said...

It seems using hyphens is necessary
in witing, because this helps to understand the context of the sentence.However, I have never given it much thought, but after these lesson I will certainly pay closer attention to what I reading.

Indira H.

Anonymous said...

Although I think writing is one of my better subjects,hyphens seem a little tricky to me.Some words are obvious,and others are harder.I think mostly because I have been out of practice in my writing until recently.I am glad we are learning on this,it will definetely improve my skills.

Anonymous said...

As was pointed out in some of the other blogs. The use of the capitalilzation of some parts of the words are a bit confusing. I would like to know the rule of thumb.

I will make an effort to incorporate the use of hyphens in my writing.
Here are a few word that I would not have normally hyphenated, word-for-word, fast-changing, sweet-smelling.

Anonymous said...

I honestly didn't know there was such an emphasis on hyphens in the English language until now. It's almost overwhelming. I'm likely to avoid using hyphens now (even though I have a better understanding of them) because they aren't very user-friendly. (Oops!) Guess I'll have to get into abusing use of parenthesis. ;)

- Angelia M.