Thursday, September 4, 2008

Writing - Using Hyphens Correctly (Part 6)

The next rule to know about hyphen usage is below.

Rule: Use a hyphen with the suffix -elect.

(A suffix goes at the end of a word. In this particular case, the suffix means chosen for office but not yet in it. For example, when the presidential election happens in November, the next president will be chosen. Between that time and when the person officially takes office in January, he can be referred to as the "president-elect.")

Examples:
Mr. Jones is the president-elect for the student government at his school.
Kathy may be the treasurer-elect if she wins the home owners' association election.

Have you heard, seen, or read that term before? Did you know that a hyphen was needed?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Writing- Using Hyphens Correctly (Par 6)

Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama are the president-elects for this year.

Angelica Walker

Anonymous said...

It is the first time I know about the suffix-elect. I will pay more attention to this kind of word.

Suetto C.

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of the term suffix-elect. The next I read an article or book, I will certainly highlight it.

Indira H.

Kim Gates said...

With the upcoming presidential election in November, I'm sure you'll be hearing the term "president-elect" quite often!

Anonymous said...

My friend Stacy was in line for the next president-elect in 1985 but she dropped out of the race. That was a tricky one,that took me a few minutes.

Anonymous said...

It was a close race for the president-elect at the condominium
meeting this year.



Michele T.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to memorize specific rules for specific words, but it safe to always hyphenste ex-, self-, all-, and-elect.
Example: Margaret was the secretary-elect of the school board, while Williams was the ex-president.

Luz Croce

Anonymous said...

Whoever becomes the forty-third president-elect on November 4 will need all of our prayers and support.

Anonymous said...

I sure hope we each take time to go out and vote for our preferred president-elect. Don't leave it to chance!

-Angelia M.

Anonymous said...

The suffix-elect is the first time I know of it, but I did heard before President Obama took office, that they was calling him the president elect. And write Using Hyphens correctly helps me to understand why.

Allison

Anonymous said...

Being that I never seen a hyphen used in this context it was a slight surprise.

-Bradley B.

Anonymous said...

No, I did not know that a hyphen was needed, because I have heard the term before but never have I seen it, until now!

SHENEA WALKER