Monday, July 27, 2009

Writing - "Specially" or "Especially"

Here's a great site that talks about using the words "specially" and "especially" in writing.

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000287.htm


My favorite parts of that site were these lines.
  • "Most of the time there is little or no difference between the words especially and specially ."

  • "In the sense of "particular" or "particularly," the words mean pretty much the same thing. Often they can be used synonymously. However, if you want to stress the exceptional or noteworthy quality, then especial or especially is a better choice. If you want to stress the distinctive purpose of something, then special or specially is the word you are looking for. "

Knowing that in most writing, the author is trying to denote something exceptional, I'd say the best rule is to stick with the word "especially."

So here's your "assignment" for this blog entry. I'd especially like if you would write one sentence that correctly illustrates how you could use that particular word! I'll start!

"I especially enjoy when students use the blog!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I especially would like to see that movie; I think the writer did a great job.


Mianta

Anonymous said...

mirlene
specially I sew my close church.


Especially, I like the online classes.

Anonymous said...

I especially like strawberry ice cream.

-Judith B

Anonymous said...

I would like to visit Orlando especially Disney World for the rides.

Allison.

Anonymous said...

Word - especially

I like to relax especially when I am being pampered.

Karla Banton

Anonymous said...

Someday I would like to travel to Europe, especially Rome/Italy.

Mina Robles

Anonymous said...

I especially liked this blog.

Rosa M. Fernandez