Sunday, June 20, 2010

Writing-Do you paint an "exact" picture?

If you've been outside in the lately, you know that it's "hot." But that word is not as descriptive as you'd like. If you said "hot" to different people, you'd get some different interpretations of what that means. Let's take a look!

Someone from Miami may say that "hot" to them means anything over 90 degrees. Someone from New York may say that "hot" means anything over 70 degrees. Lastly, someone from Alaska may say that "hot" means anything over 50 degrees! This doesn't mean that you shouldn't use the word "hot" in your writing. However, with words like that where meanings can be different, be sure to add in those additional details to help paint that "exact" picture.

To practice this, tell me about how the hot weather feels to you. Is it really hot or are you thinking it's pretty nice? Give me those details to help me understand what you mean! In fact, I'll give you a short example.

Today I went outside and it was hot! The thermometer said 90 degrees, but I was sure it was hotter than that. It was humid with no breeze. I decided to put on shorts and a sleeveless shirt.
If it got any hotter, I'd need to find a nearby pool to cool off or stay inside all day.

Now you try!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It’s been very hot and humid these couple of days. The forecast reads 90+ degrees with humidity at 65%, but it really feels like 100+ degrees. I have never been inside of an oven, but literally, I feel like am being baked when standing for a prolonged time outside. I get sweaty and sticky that my clothes get stuck to my skin. With that heat, and that amount of humidity, I take at least 2 or 3 showers a day, and wish that I can be with my bathing suit at the beach or a pool all the time.

Maria C. Torres

CWillis said...

It was so hot when I went walking around the park yesterday. It took every ounce of will-power that I had to keep walking past the sprinklers that were watering the lawn. All I could think about was standing right in front of the sprinklers and getting soaked with water. God must have known what was going through my mind because all of a sudden it stated raining. I took my time slowly walking back to my car. That rain felt good and it cooled me off!

Anonymous said...

It is so hot lately, I believe that you throw an egg on the ground it would fry. It has been just that hot.

Angela B.

Kelly Tymecki said...

The latest summer weather has been extremely hot and humid. The tempertures reach nearly 100 degrees. The sun is so bright and hot in the sky and there is almost never any shade. There is also no wind and the hot moisture sticks to your skin like glue, making a person feel very sweaty.

Anonymous said...

Today I must say is the hottest day of the summer, the weather channel says its 91 degrees, but I honestly think its 100 degrees. I’m driving in my car, and my AC does not even work so I feel as if I’m driving in dead heat. The air outside is muggy and sticky, and the worst part is, there’s no breeze at all. Driving in this heat is making me sweat like a mad man, I hate stopping the car because the heat makes the car turn into an oven.

Nicole Cunningham

Anonymous said...

Yesterday afternoon I had to go on the road. When I got in the car, the seat burnt me and I had to jump up and cover it with a towel. It was so hot, the a/c had no effect. There was no breeze - it was very humid. I deeply empathize with the construction workers and those who have to work in the sun.

It is highly recommended that we wear sunscreen lotion and UV glasses to protect us from the dangers of the sun.

Verona H

Anonymous said...

It has been so hot lately,in my car the temperature readind has been showing 100 degrees. Out side after it rain, it almost feels the same with the humidy being so high.

gail