Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Writing- Idioms (Part 3)

Let's continue our exploration of idioms. The last blog post focused on some medical idioms. This time, we'll focus on idioms dealing with color.


Did you ever hear (or read) that a person's face was "as red as a cherry" after a certain event? That saying implies that a person's face was red, possibly from embarrassment or maybe a severe sunburn. That idiom helps you imagine just how red the person's face it. It may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it certainly helps to convey the point!


Take a look at this list of idioms dealing with color.
http://www.idiomconnection.com/color.html#B


Then, once you've reviewed them, try the quiz to see how well you know them!
http://www.idiomconnection.com/color.html#BQ


Lastly, come back to the blog, write your favorite color idiom, the meaning of it, and tell us how you did on the quiz!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A new one for me was #5 (red-letter). My favorite idiom is passed with flying colors.

Maria C. Torres

Anonymous said...

The idiom that I like is "paint the town red". It means to have a good time.

I took the quiz and I missed one. The one that I missed was (memorable), which means red letter.

Angela B.

Anonymous said...

The idom that I liked was blue in the face which means Very Angery.

I took the test and I have gotten all of them right but 1.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

The idiom I like is green - to be inexperienced or immature.

I got all the answers correct on the quiz. It was fun!

Verona H

Anonymous said...

My favorite idiom was Blacklist which means, to exclude someone, to write someone’s name one a list, if they break some rules. I did pretty good with the color idioms quiz they were fun and easy.

Nicole cunningham

Anonymous said...

I played again, and this time got all them right. Another one I like is tickled pink.

Maria C. Torres
july 29, 2010

Anonymous said...

The idiom that I liked was "tickled pink" it means, to be very pleased or delighted by someone or something.

On the quiz I missed number five (memorable), that was a new one for me.


Gail

Anonymous said...

My favorite was- White Elephant
It means useless.

There are some I'd never heard.
red-letter - memorable
red herring - unimportant
cowardly - yellow streak

CWillis said...

The anonymous comment on 8/1 at 2:29 am is me

clicked publish before I signed my name.

Kelly Tymecki said...

I got most of the questions right on the quiz. My favorite idiom was 'blue in the face' because I hear that a lot.

Anonymous said...

I never hear of white elephant or seeing pink elephants. I like the idiom, look at the world through rose-colored glasses.

Maria C. Torres
8/27/2010