Monday, July 12, 2010

Writing- Idioms


Idioms are one of the hardest parts of the English language. An idiom is a term or phrase whose meaning cannot be deduced from the literal definitions and the arrangement of its parts, but refers instead to a figurative meaning that is known only through common use.

The phrase "keep your eyes peeled" is an idiom. You couldn't interpret that literally, as your eyes can be "peeled" the way a banana can be. But, figuratively, that means to keep your eyes opened and be on the lookout!

Test your knowledge of some common idioms that you may come across in writing & speaking. Try this Quia activity and then come back here to report which idioms (if any) were new to you and which one you were most familiar with already.

Quia activity: http://www.quia.com/mc/66234.html

7 comments:

CWillis said...

These were pretty easy. I got them all correct. I love these games.

Anonymous said...

I learned to; keep a stiff upper lip and a sight for sore eyes. I already knew, to have an eye for something, to be all smiles and to keep your ears open. I enjoyed the game and got all of them correct.

Maria C. Torres
7/15/2010

Anonymous said...

I have to say it was a little challenging but also they were very simple too. I played it a couple of times but it was awesome practice. When I first played the match I seem to of had some trouble with the last one. “To be upset about someone else’s actions." the 2nd match was “To leave a bad taste in your mouth." I made sure I got it right the other times, but I enjoyed it anyways!

Nicole Cunningham

Anonymous said...

The idiom that was new to me was" To have your eyes pop out of your head"

The idiom that was most familiar, was "Music to my ears"




Gail

Anonymous said...

This idiom was new to me:
to have a nose for news = to know where to look for information.

This idiom was familiar to me:
music to my ear = good news

Angela B.

Anonymous said...

I played the game. I did messed up once but I got it right the next time.Over all very cool game.
Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

I played the game and got all of them right.
Angela Richardson