Monday, October 4, 2010

Commonly Misued Words: Accept & Except

By making an effort to correctly use all words in your writing, you can see big improvements in overall quality. What you say (and write) is a representation of you. If you went to the mall, you'd probably try to not mistakenly wear your shirt backwards or inside-out. With writing, it's the same way!

Another set of common misused words are the terms "accept" and "except." These aren't truly homonyms (words that are pronounced the same, but have different meanings), as they are said two different ways.

The word "accept" is used when talking about receiving something. Two examples are below.

I have accepted the new job offer.
My mailman asked if I'd accept the package on behalf of my neighbor.


The word "except" is used when excluding or leaving something out. Two examples are below.

I like many vegetables except broccoli and cauliflower.
Everyone came to the party except for my sister and her boyfriend.


Practice using those two terms. Write one sentence that shows the correct way to use each word, "accept" and "except."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

1.I would accept the dog for being brown.

2. Everybody going to the fair except for jason.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

ACCEPT: The family’s dog could not accept the new baby’s arrival.

EXCEPT: Everyone was at the wedding rehearsal except the bride and groom.



SHENEA WALKER

Anonymous said...

We don't accept Discover credit cards at our establishment.

She brought all her exercise gear except for her cell phone.

Maria T.
10/6/2010

Anonymous said...

(ACCEPT)

I have now accepted the fact that golf is not for me.

(EXCEPT)

I don’t have a problem with my car except for my brakes.

Nicole Cunningham

Anonymous said...

1.I accept my cuzin with her short haircut.

2.I will eat vegetables except for the broccoli.Yuck!

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

I can accept the new propsals except the one about working every Saturday.

alex phillip said...

I can accept all the proposals except the one about working every weekend.

Anonymous said...

1. I accepted the prize last Tuesday.

2. Everyone can come to my party except Steve.

Kelly Tymecki

Anonymous said...

1. I told my manger that, I would accept the new job promotion.

2. On my job resume, I except my job as a cashier it was not needed.




Gail

Anonymous said...

1.I have to accept the fact that I am going to be short for the rest of my life.

2.I like this cute dog except for he he starts barking load at me.

Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

2.I like this cute dog except for when he starts barking at me.


Angela Richardson

Anonymous said...

I am sorry but,I cannot accept any gift from you.

Every body planned to go to the family reunion except my aunt.

Dorothea M.