Sunday, October 3, 2010

Commonly Misued Words: Witch and Which

Happy October!

With Halloween around the corner, this next blog post is about the words "witch" and "which" is quite appropriate. These words, like many of the others that we've discussed during the "Commonly Misused Words" topics, are homonyms or homophones. They're pronounced almost identically, but have very different meanings. Let's look at each one a bit closer!

The word "witch" is meant to be used when describing the Halloween character who has the pointy hat, pointy shoes, and rides a broom. It can also be used to describe a nasty, mean-spirited person.

The word "which" can be used as a pronoun, as in the example below.
"Which of these should we buy?"

It can also be used as an adjective, shown in the example below.
"I spent the day at the mall, during which time my car was being fixed."

Probably the easiest way to remember this is to ask yourself if you're talking about a person or character. If that's not what you mean, then go with the word "which."


Can you write two sentences that show how to use the words "witch" and "which" correctly? Give it a try now!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which sentence should I write first?

On Halloween you see many girls dressed as witches.

Maria C. Torres
10/3/2010

Anonymous said...

WITCH: Looking to the sky I saw the witch, riding her broom stick and cackling loudly at the children “I’ll get you my pretties and all of your candy too”.

WHICH: “Can you tell me which one would be the better choice for me, sir?”


SHENEA WALKER

Anonymous said...

(WITCH)
1)My mother always puts up her witch candles for the Halloween holiday.

(WHICH)
2)I do not know which candy to buy for the children on Halloween night.

Nicole Cunningham

alex said...

Which witch is Endora?

Anonymous said...

1.Which: Which one the words are used in the correct sentences?

2. Witch: At the costume store today;I tried on a witch costume.




Gail

Anonymous said...

Which one of you open the front door?

My sister love to dress as a witch on halloween.

Dorothea M