Sunday, October 3, 2010

Writing-Using Hyphens Correctly (Part 5)

As we continue on with our blog discussions about using hyphens correctly, we reach part 5. (Who knew there were this many "rules" for hyphen usage? I certainly didn't!)

Rule: Use a hyphen between a prefix and a capitalized word.

Remember that a prefix is a word part that comes at the beginning of the word. For more information on prefixes and to see a list of some common ones, click this link or this one!)

Examples:

My mother loves to study the pre-Civil War era.
Charlie spilled spaghetti sauce on his white T-shirt.

When it comes to computers, I am very pro-Dell.
Some parts of the world have anti-American feelings.


Tell me what you think about this rule for hyphens? Does it seem logical? Do you think you can incorporate it into your writing (when necessary)? Did you know about this rule before? Have you seen this used correctly in other things you've read lately?

Please share your thoughts be using 2-4 complete sentences.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rule does seem logical. I really never noticed if it is being used correctly in things that I have read lately. I can incorporate this rule in my future writing.

Maria C. Torres
10/3/2010

Anonymous said...

I can agree with this rule being that the rules on hyphens are so sketchy. This rule seems very cut and dry. Yes, I can incorporate this rule now that I know of it. I may have seen this rule used correctly in previous records, but have not given it much thought. So, I do not remember whether or not it was used at all.



SHENEA WALKER

Anonymous said...

I feel that this rule is truly logical because it helps understand ways to use prefixes. I have learned this rule in middle school so I have learned over the years how to incorporate them when writing. I always notice them when I am reading books or magazines, and the ways they are used.

Nicole Cunningham

Anonymous said...

I think this rule seem logical, Yes I do think that I will incorporate this rule into my future writing when necessary. No I did not known about this rule before; yes I’ve seen this used before but, I’ve never used it for myself.


Gail