Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Commonly Misused Words: Then and Than

It's very easy to mistakenly type one letter and change the whole meaning of a word. Take, for example, the words "then" and "than." Those have very different meanings and usages.

The word "then" is used when referring to a time or an order of events. Look at the examples below.
She opened up her purse and then took out the car keys.
First, put the bread in the toaster. Then turn it on and wait.

The word "than" is used when making a comparison between things. Look at the examples below.
I like cookies more than I like ice cream.
Henry buys broccoli less often than carrots.

Show me how you'd correctly use the words "then" and "than." Write one sentence illustrating usage of each word.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I perfer scones and tea much more than cake and milk.

I walked outside and then shut the door.


Rebekah W.

Anonymous said...

Rum and raisin icecream is way better than grapenut icecream.


I entered the hotel, then the bellhop took my coat.



Sheila w,

Anonymous said...

I run faster than my elder brother.

I turned off the television, then I went to sleep.


Suetto C.

Anonymous said...

I am going to the store, then I will make dinner.

Florida gets more rain than New Mexico.

Jolene h

Anonymous said...

Mirlene - I spoke to the online teacher, then she told me, my friend have more grade than I have.

Anonymous said...

I went to work,then I went to get my son from school.


Joey is much more taller than Troy.

Anonymous said...

Mowing the lawn is easier than pulling weeds.

I feed my bird in the morning, then I feed my cats in the afternoon.

Anonymous said...

"Commonly Misused Words: Then and Than"

My daughter rather wear skirts and dresses than some jeans and a t-shirt.

When I walk out of the walk-in freezer u may then shut the door.

-Angelica

Anonymous said...

We baked the cookies then put the sprinkles on, but John said he would rather have his plain than with sprinkles.

Alicia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alicia said...

My sister and I cook for the party and then we call everyone inside to eat.

I talk with my mother more than how I talk to my father.

Alicia

Anonymous said...

I rather be at the beach than working on holiday weekend.

Maria Rodriguez-Trelles

Anonymous said...

I park my car. Then I went to talk with him.


Milena likes art class more than science class.

Roxan Alvarez

01/22/10