Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Commonly Misused Words: Accept and Except

By making an effort to correctly use all words in your writing, you can see big improvements in overall quality. What you say (and write) is a representation of you. If you went to the mall, you'd probably try to not mistakenly wear your shirt backwards or inside-out. With writing, it's the same way!

Another set of common misused words are the terms "accept" and "except." These aren't truly homonyms (words that are pronounced the same, but have different meanings), as they are said two different ways.

The word "accept" is used when talking about receiving something. Two examples are below.
I have accepted the new job offer.
My mailman asked if I'd accept the package on behalf of my neighbor.

The word "except" is used when excluding or leaving something out. Two examples are below.
I like many vegetables except broccoli and cauliflower.
Everyone came to the party except for my sister and her boyfriend.

Practice using those two terms. Write one sentence that shows the correct way to use each word, "accept" and "except."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My manager asked me if, I would be willing to accept the new position.


Every one except my grandmother was at my wedding.


Sheila W.


Ms.Gates, I got yesterday & today's assignments mixed up so as you can see on mondays' assignment I have the same work shown.

Anonymous said...

I cannot accept your apology.

I go to work everyday except Sunday.


Suetto C.

Anonymous said...

Mirlene
At work, I accept to do everything they ask me to do, except something which were not in my application.

Anonymous said...

1. Everyone ,except me won a prize!

2. I decided not to accept the position being offered.

M

Anonymous said...

Everyone except me won a prize.

I decided not to accept the
gift of money and donated it to my favorite charity.

Michele T.

Anonymous said...

A child learns to accept responsibility for their actions by seeing adults model that behavior.

The movie was very good except that it had too much violence.

Anonymous said...

My friend accepted my apology for missing her birthday.

Everyone except Rachel had thier work completed.

Anonymous said...

Racial differences are accepted more now, than back in the 60's.

Everyone got an invitation to the party except Johnny, because he was out of town.

Alicia said...

I accept the gifts my best friend gave to me.

I play every sport except volleyball.

Alicia

Anonymous said...

I accept the way he talks but I regreat his actions.

All the students went except Louis, his parents are out of town.

Maria Rodriguez-Trelles