Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Writing - Complete Sentences

One of the most important parts of good writing is to make sure that you are not writing sentence fragments. Remember that a fragment is sentence that's missing either its subject, its verb, or both. Let's look at three examples of fragments.

Example 1: "Went running for miles."
(In this case, the subject is missing. Who went running for miles?)

Example 2: "My cousin Henry."
(In this case, the verb is missing. What is it about your cousin Henry?)

Example 3: "At the mall."
(In this case, both the subject and the verb are missing. Who was at the mall and what was done there?)

You may hear the word referred to as a "predicate." A complete sentence must have a subject and a predicate (or verb). The subject is who or what the sentence is about. The predicate (or verb) is the action that's happening. Sometimes the verb will seem to not show an action, as is the case if you use the verbs "am," "is," "are," "were," "be," "been," etc.

Look at the predicates (verbs) that are underlined in the sentences below.

Kristen was at the mall today. The stores were all open for customers. She shopped all day.

Now that you've had a chance to review subject & predicates, try your skills at identifying them in this Quia activity. Click this link to play the game. Once you're done, come back to the blog and type 2 complete sentences to tell us if you enjoyed the game and how you did!

Have fun!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitively enjoyed the game. I didn't do too good playing this time.

Margie

Anonymous said...

The game was very difficult.

I played the game several times before I received a 100%.

Allison.

Anonymous said...

The game was difficult. It was so difficult to get 100%. I enjoyed to play it.

Geraldine G.

Anonymous said...

The game was great! It was a little confussing at first. I got $400 in my first attempt but got $1million in the next two.
Claudia.

Anonymous said...

Mirlene

To night after the workshop, I went to sleep. I came back at 11 o'clock to play blog.

Anonymous said...

mirlene

I went to Haiti to visit My family.

They were happy to see me.

Anonymous said...

I like the game.

The game is not easy to get full score.

suetto chan

Anonymous said...

I did not do well at this game. I played twice and did not get past 300 points.

Gm

Anonymous said...

mirlene
I played game last night.
I won ten games the other day.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the game and won 1,000,000.


Maria Rodriguez-Trelles

Anonymous said...

I attempted this game three times. My first score was 3,200, my second score was 400 and my third score was 1,000,000 which means I won.

Sentence #1 - I love to study.

Sentence #2 - You are not going to the party.

Leonie Florestal

Anonymous said...

I play the game three times until I get 1,000,000


Dorothea M

Anonymous said...

This game was a fun. I did well.

Abbey P.

Tamika said...

I enjoyed playing the game.Not only was it fun it was also helpful.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I enjoy the game a lot, but I would like to have more time to continue, because you learn a lot.

My two sentences are:

I am cooking today.

I will write the letter tomorrow.

December 09, 2009

Roxana Alvarez