Friday, July 4, 2008

Writing - Order of Emphasis

When you write, especially if you're trying to emphasize ideas and keep the order clear in the reader's mind, you want to use words such as "first," "second," "third," "then," "next," "lastly," "finally," etc. These are known as signal or transition words. If you were writing an essay with multiple paragraphs, you'd probably use one of these words near the beginning of each paragraph. If you're writing just a few sentences, it's possible that you may use one of those terms at the beginning of each sentence.

To celebrate the 4th of July, I'd like you to tell me three or four reasons why you enjoy this day or what you do to have fun! Remember to use some of those signal words in your writing!

Here's my answer!

First, I enjoy the 4th of July because it's a day off to spend with my husband. Secondly, it's a great time to have a cookout with friends. Last, but not least, the 4th of July is a time to reflect on our country and celebrate our freedom.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the 4th of July. First, it is party time. Secondly, my mom cook a lot of yummy food. Last, my whole family can get together and enjoy to watch the firework at the evening.

Anonymous said...

mirlene - comment

I like 4th of July for many reasons.
First, it's day off, and I get pay for the day, if I am working, I get pay time and half.
In the other hand, if I stay home, I cook outside, invite my friends to enjoy the day with me.

Finally in the evening, I drive to the beach with my husband to watching the Marine shooting the fire craker.

Anonymous said...

First, I enjoy the 4th of July because of the fire works. Secondly, to be able to prepare delicious food for my family and friends,and Lastly just to be able to celebrate America,s fredom.

sheila w.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the Fourth of July very much.First of all,I have three sons,eight,sixteen and eightteen,and they love the fireworks.Secondly,we lead such busy lives it is nice to have something to bring the family together.Last but not least,we get to cook on the grill and talk to our neighbors,whom we rarely see.All in all we have a great time.

Anonymous said...

First I enjoy July 4th because it is the day America celebrates it's Independence. Secondly It signals the freedoms we are now experiencing. Lastly to clebrate this expericnce with family and friends is priceless.

Anonymous said...

First, I enjoy the 4th of July because it is a day off to spend with my family. Second, it is a good day to go the park or just walk at the mall. Last, it is a special day for the people in the United States of America and a celebration of their freedom.

Geraldine G.

Archarna Jones said...

The 4th of July is a nice day for the family but the kids seem to enjoy it the most. The kids will all get their bags full of fire works and sort them out.
Next, they would put the small fireworks first to light than the big ones last.
After sorting the fireworks, the adults will place a firework in the road and yell,"kids stay back".
Finally, the kids all jump up and down with excitement to see the beautiful lights.

Anonymous said...

I like the 4th of July: First, it is a big day for the United States's stories. Second, I always enjoy day off cause I spend more time with my family. Finally, my mom always make my favorite dessert.

Anonymous said...

I like July 4th because it is a time of celebration for families and a time to honor our country. First, our family comes together for a meal and to set off our own fireworks. Then, we watch the real thing. Sometimes we go to a different place to watch them. We went to Gaitlinburg last year. We also honor our country by watching a parade or a 4th of July special.