Thursday, December 4, 2008

Commonly Misused Words: Break and Brake

Words that sound the same, but have different spellings and meanings are called "homonyms" or "homophones." In your writing, it's important to make sure that you use the right word. Remember that writing is a reflection of you and you always want to make a great impression, even with your readers!

The word "break" can be used as a verb or as a noun. Let's look at some examples. (The first two sentences use "break" as a verb, and the last two sentences use "break" as a noun.)

1.) If you drop the glass, it will break.
2.) The burglar was going to break into the neighbor's home.
3.) There will be a break between the morning and afternoon classes.
4.) Let's stop the car and take a break at the gas station.


Quite the opposite, though, is the word "brake." This word can also be used as a verb, noun, or adjective, but has very different meanings.

Verb Example: I had to brake hard to avoid hitting the skunk in the road.
Noun Example: Tim had the brakes replaced on his truck.
Adjective Example: Pep Boys will have brake pads on sale this week.

Notice that in all of those examples, there is some relation to a vehicle. (You could also talk about "brakes" on a bicycle, motorcycle, scooter, dirt bike, etc.)

Can you use those words in two sentences and use them correctly? Give it a try now!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coffee breaks are quite common , especially when you are working a long day.

The child tried to brake , but it was too late and she hit the paint can.



Michele T.

Anonymous said...

On my way to work my car break down on the highway.

I went to Auto Zone to purchase brakes for my car.

Allison.

Anonymous said...

Mirlene
The last administor repaired our break room.

I have two sick days, I am going to take a break.

I took my car to the shop because, it has a brake problem.

Anonymous said...

We always take our coffee break outside.

Yesterday my brother-in-law replace the brake pad on his motorcycle.

Anonymous said...

I always take my lunch break at 12pm.


John is lucky to have good brakes on his car,or else the accident would have been fatal.


Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

The old man went to fix his brakes at the auto shop.

Nia likes to break plates when she gets mad.

Aneilia Persad

Anonymous said...

Be careful unwrapping the box so that you do not break your favorite Christmas tree ornament.

Learning to use the brakes when you are learning to drive is imperative.

Anonymous said...

This is a great topic because as so many people have come to depend on spellcheck in MSWord or email... the misused homonyms are not mispelled! So there is not an automatic fix for this. Nice post topic! -Angelia McGirt

Anonymous said...

I took my car to the Ford dealer because I suspected a brake problem.

I have a 30min lunch break at work.

Leonie Florestal

Anonymous said...

After working a ten hour shift, I am ready for a long break.

The police reported a brake failure caused the accident.

Margie