Monday, December 15, 2008

Word Parts - Prefixes (Part 6)

Let's focus on another common prefix, "co-." This is one that you'll see pretty often.

Prefix: co-
Meaning: with
Examples: copilot, cosign, coteach

If you're on a plane that has a copilot, you have one pilot who is with another pilot.

Sometimes you may need to have someone cosign a loan with you.

Many of the online workshops have two teachers there; they are coteaching the session.


Words that use the prefix "co-" may use a hyphen. Examples would be the terms "co-own" and "co-exist." Why would some words with the prefix "co-" use a hyphen and others don't? The answer lies in the first letter of the word that comes after the prefix. According to one of the rules about hyphens, if you're going to have an awkward combination of letters together (such as two vowels right next to each other), you should use a hyphen. (Visit this blog topic link to learn more about that.)

Visit this link (prefix quiz) and try the activity with 10 questions. Then, come back here & report your results in a complete, correctly-written sentence!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did the quiz and got all 10 correct, the quiz was wonderful and I look forward to get more.


Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

I took the quiz and made 100%.These quizzes help you to keep learning and thats a good thing.I think they are fun,keep them coming. Richard Adams

Anonymous said...

I made 100% correct on the first quiz. I went to the next level and made 90%.
I learned that when you add a prefix to a root word, the spelling of the root word usually stays the same.

'dis' + 'satisfy' = 'dissatisfy'

Anonymous said...

I did really well on the quiz. I got all ten right.

Gm

Anonymous said...

I did the quiz and I got 90% so I went it did again andget 100%.

Dorothea M.

Anonymous said...

I did the quiz and I got 90% so I went it did again andget 100%.

Dorothea M.

Anonymous said...

I did the prefix quiz and scored 100% which means all ten questions were answered correctly. I would definitely do this quiz again.

Leonie F.

Anonymous said...

I got a 10 out of 10.

Gm