Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Word Parts - Prefixes (Part 7)

We could go on almost forever with all of the prefixes that exist in the English language. Instead, take a look at the chart below that shows some of the ones you'll come across regularly.

Prefix
ante
bi
equi
hypo
neo
poly
semi
Meaning
before
two
equal
under
new
many
half

Prefix
auto
circum
im
inter
omni
retro
trans

Meaning
self
around
not
between
all
backward
across

Now's the time to test your prefix skills by playing this Quia game that's similar to Jeopardy! You can play either by yourself or against someone. If you play by yourself, enter your name in the area for "Player 1 Name" and then click the "Begin 1-player game" box. If you want to play with someone else, enter your names in the areas for "Player 1 Name" and "Player 2 Name;" then click the "Begin 2-player" game box. Then come back here, report how you did, what you learned, and if you enjoyed the activity!

http://www.quia.com/cb/221179.html

Enjoy!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got all the questions correct my total was 7500.I really enjoyed doing those questions it exercises the brain which is always a good thing. Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

I did the exercise twice because I missed 1. I thought the word reply ment to answer not to say agian. The second time I got them all right. I like doing prefixes.RICHARD ADAMS

Anonymous said...

My score was 6500. I got two wrong but it was really great game, I felt like I was on jepordy.

Gm

Anonymous said...

I played with my eleven year old daughter. We had a lot of fun, she beat me by 100 points! I am enjoying learning about prefixes.

Anonymous said...

I did well in the game I got one wrong.

It was a easy game to play, but at the same time it allows you to think.

Allison.

Anonymous said...

This game brings back a little memories when I was in primary school.I got 6700.

Dorothea M.

Anonymous said...

I had fun playing the prefix game. My score is 7,000 which means that I got one question incorrect. This exercise really made me think.

Leonie F.

Anonymous said...

During the "Reading Strategies" Elluminate session on December 17, 2008, I learned that one of the strategies to utilize when reading is the TIPP strategy. Here is what it means.
T = title - read the title and sub-headings
I = introduction - skim the first paragraph.
P = paragraph - read the first line of each paragraph.
P = picture(s) - look at the picture(s)

Leonie F.

Anonymous said...

I got all the questions correct too. My scores was 7500. I got fun!


Geraldine G.

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting in the begining but then it got kind of boring. Nevertheless, I scored a 7500. and learned about the meaning of reply.

SHENEA WALKER