Saturday, April 4, 2009

Vocabulary - Use It Or Lose It (Part 21)

Let's continue on with our quest for good vocabulary skills! Look at this next set of words.

groundlesswithout any good reason or cause
hypocritephony person
incomprehensibleimpossible to understand
manipulateto handle or use skillfully
maximumlargest amount possible
mimiccopycat
ruffleto wrinkle
serenepeaceful, calm
sheepishembarrassed
staminaendurance, staying power
barragebombardment
bigotracist
designatechoose, point out
diversitydissimilarity
enigmariddle, mystery

Please pick out 1-2 words that you're most comfortable with and post those words with definitions. Then pick out 2-3 words that you don't know (or don't know that well) and post those words with definitions. Try correctly using at least 2 of those words in separate sentences.

6 comments:

Tierra Madison said...

Words I knew:
Hypocrite- phony person
Maniuplate- to handle or use skillfully.

Words I learned:
Enigma- riddle, mystery
Bigot- racist

Sentences:
1) I have an awkward enigma for you.
2) Why are you so bigot when it comes to my friends and I?

Anonymous said...

Words familiar with are:
Serene - peaceful, calm
Stamina - endurance, staying power

Words not familiar with are:
Enigma - riddle mystery
Barrage - Bombardment

1. My father use to tell a lot of enigma.

2. Today the baby is very serene.

Allison.

Anonymous said...

Manipulate: influence or control

Sheepish: ashamed, embarrassed, guilty

He was sheepish to show his car.

Ruffle: A strip of frilled or closely pleated fabric used for trimming or decoration

The tailor used a ruffle fabric for the new models.

Maria Rodriguez - Trelles

Anonymous said...

Words I was most comfortable with:

mimic - copycat
barrage - bombardment

Words I did not know:

Enigma - riddle, mystery
bigot - racist
sheepish - embarrassed

Sentences:

The story teller tried to solve the enigma.

Some race are bigot.

I was very sheepish at the students behavior to the teacher.

Karla Banton

Anonymous said...

Words that I know:

hypocrite-phony person
maximum-largest amount possible

Words that I don't know well:

barrage-bombardment
enigma-riddle, mystery

Sentences:

I have a barrage of homework to get done.

My socks going missing in the dryer is an enigma to me.

Gitty M.

Anonymous said...

Terms I knew:
hypocrite- a phony person
maximum-largest amount possible

Terms I have learned:
sheepish-embarassed
barrage-bombardment
enigma-riddle, mystery

Sentences:
-The toddler looked sheepish as his father caught him in midaction of trying to eat dirt.
-Telemarketers barrage my house phone daily.