Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Writing - Happy April Fools' Day

Today, April 1st, is commonly known as April Fools' Day. (Writing connection: Do you see the apostrophe used with the word "Fools" in the name? That means it is a day that belongs to the fools!)

Want to know more about this day? Read the information below (from this Wikipedia page).

April Fools' Day or All Fools' Day, although not a holiday in its own right, is a notable day celebrated in many countries on April 1. The day is marked by the commission of hoaxes and other practical jokes of varying sophistication on friends, family members, enemies, and neighbors, or sending them on fool's errand, the aim of which is to embarrass the gullible. Traditionally, in some countries, the jokes only last until noon: like UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, someone who plays a trick after noon is called an "April Fool".[1] Elsewhere, such as in Ireland, France, and the USA, the jokes last all day. Another origin is that April 1 was counted the first day of the year in France. When King Charles IX changed that to January 1, some people stayed with April 1. Those who did were called "April Fools" and were taunted by their neighbors.

Did you participate in any pranks or jokes for today? Please correctly write 1-2 sentences telling us what you did (or didn't) do.

5 comments:

Tierra Madison said...

I have not yet participated in playing jokes on people. However, I have made a goal today to tell one of the staff here that somebody fell in the backyard and they can't get up. Once the staff run to the imaginary scene, I plan on locking them out of the house and when they come back pounding on the door, yell, "April Fools". I was also planning on pulling a chair out from underneath somebody but have reconsidered that thought. I figure since the Con's outweigh the Pro's, I'm just not going to do it. Can't wait to see what other people write!

Anonymous said...

I don't like April fools' Day. I hate to see anyone being embarrassed.

suetto chan

Anonymous said...

I didn't do anything jokey on all fools day, neither was I fooled. I for got about it as well. I spend that day at home doing house chores.

Allison

Anonymous said...

I did not participate in the April Fool's Day tradition. My focus was on my work assigments.

Leonie Florestal

Mianta said...

I did not participate this April Fool's Day. I am not originally from the United States and April Fool's Day is not a day I do, or plan on celebrating. I did however enjoy my day off from work and took my online class.