Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Commas - The Best Trick!

The English language has so many rules and even more exceptions to those rules. This is especially true of rules relating to comma usage in writing. Rather than go over all of those rules, I'm going to share with you my favorite "trick" for writing. You're going to love it!

Writing and speaking are very closely related. If you have a sentence and don't know if a comma is needed, read your sentence out loud. Pay close attention to where you naturally tend to pause. That's where a comma is probably needed!!! Let's try it now.

Read the sentence (shown below) out loud and see where you pause.

While flipping channels I came across a new television show.

I bet you paused after the phrase "while flipping channels." That gives you an indication to put a comma at that point in the sentence. Doing so, you'd end up with this: "While flipping channels, I came across a new television show."

The next time you're unsure if a comma is needed, try this trick! In fact, reply to this post and tell me if you think it will help you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Commas=The Best Trick!

Yes,I think this is a great trick. I use it alot and it usually works for me. Thanks.


Michele T.

Anonymous said...

Comma punctuation mark (,) indicating pause or division. Definite minute interval or difference of pitch.Yes,it helps me a lot .

Anonymous said...

Mirlene comment.

Yes, this a good help.

No, she is not my sister.

Anonymous said...

I think the tick will be very hepful to me becuse i do have the hard time knowing where to put comons.Do have anymore tip.tiffany f

Anonymous said...

I think this will help me Mrs.Gates because one thing I've learn is to always listen for a pause to add the comma.

Anonymous said...

Delbon Johnson

Anonymous said...

Yes, it will help me, especially becouse English is not my primary language.

than you Ms Gate

Maria E Wahlenberg

Anonymous said...

That's a great trick. I've caught myself doing that trick when I'm working with commas and, it really works.

Lisa Bristol

Anonymous said...

Yes, the trick is very helpful. When we are speaking, we don't need to think about comma. While we are writing , we must be very careful.

Suetto C.

Anonymous said...

When you are learning language, one statement sais a comma is a stop when you write, in this blog they teach something else "Writing and Speaking are very closely related." If you have a sentence and don't know if a comma is needed, read your sentence out loud, and where you pause there It go the comma. I am going to beging to used.

October 21, 2009

Roxana Alvarez