Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Writing Tips for Emails (Part 2)

The way you start your email sets the tone for everything that follows. Do you want your reader to know that your message is meant for him or her? That's always very helpful and much appreciated by the reader. Knowing this, here's our second writing tip for emails.

Tip #2 for emails: Always begin an email with an appropriate salutation.

Reason: It identifies the recipient and shows that you put thought into the greeting.

Examples: The following salutations could begin an email.
1.) Dear Ms. Thomas.
2.) Hello Jane.
3.) Good morning, Mr. Castano.
4.) Greetings Robert.

Suggestion: If you don't know how to address the person, it's safest to go with the most respectful option which would be to use "Mr." or "Ms." before the last name.

Do you begin emails with a salutation? If not, do you think this is something you could start doing?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do use those greetings. I believe its the proper way to begin and introduce yourself to the other person.

Luz Croce

Anonymous said...

When we used the appropriate greetings the reader feels that he has been dealt with respect and professionalism.

Adriana Wagner

Anonymous said...

They say practice becomes perfect, and a lot can be said about someone through their writing, and I believe by using those words espically when dealing with people will work to your advantage.


Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I always begin my emails with salutations.This in it self shows alot of respect.
I know if someone sent me an email with a salutation I will feel very appreciated and that's how I would like all my recipients to feel.

Indira H.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I forget to start my e-mails in a respectful manner and I think I should start doing that it would make the message more presentable.

Aneilia Persad

Anonymous said...

Mirlene - Comment
Yes, Ms.Gates
I always greeting people, but with a mistake instead a period,I put a comma.

Anonymous said...

I think its polite to use the proper heading. I also always ask how the other peerson is doing.

Anonymous said...

I think its polite to use the proper heading. I also always ask how the other person is doing.

October 12, 2008 7:34 PM



Crystl Smolter

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do use a greeting/salutation when sending my email. If the email is formal I use the examples you have given. When it is an informal greeting I use Hi.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do use greetings while writing an e-mail to someone. Thanks for providing this information. I use e-mail to commnunicate with my peers all day at work.

Maria Rodriguez - Trelles

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs Gates,
I am witing you is email just to if I can do it right.Please wrie back to tell me if I am doing it right.tiffanyf

Anonymous said...

I do not begin all e-mails with a salutation. However, I will start doing this in the future.

Leonie Florestal

Anonymous said...

Mostly I use grettings especially for school, work, and formal situations where I want to give a good impression. Sometimes in my personal life I will not use one.

-Judith B