Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Writing - Do you paint an "exact" picture?

If you've been outside in the last few hours, you know that it's "cold." But that word is not as descriptive as you'd like. If you said "cold" to different people, you'd get some different interpretations of what that means. Let's take a look!

Someone from Miami may say that "cold" to them means anything under 70 degrees.

Someone from New York may say that "cold" means anything under 40 degrees.

Lastly, someone from Alaska may say that "cold" means anything under 0 degrees!

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't use the word "cold" in your writing. However, with words like that where meanings can be different, be sure to add in those additional details to help paint that "exact" picture.

To practice this, tell me about how the cold weather feels to you. Is it really cold or are you thinking it's pretty nice? Give me those details to help me understand what you mean! In fact, I'll give you a short example.

Today I went outside and it was cold! The thermometer said 57 degrees, but I was sure it was colder than that. The air was crisp and the wind was strong. I decided to put on my sweater and get a jacket too. If it got any colder, I'd need my fleece gloves.

Now you try!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The temperature today is 50 degrees fahrenheit and for me that is very cold,so I definitely will need a jacket to stay warm.

Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

When I was leaving from work this morning the temperture was, 50
degrees and I consider that it is definitely cold.


Dorothea Maxwell

Anonymous said...

mirlene
For me it was not to cold, usually when I wake up early in the morning, under my uniform I wearing a T-shirt and whipe my front head just to protect my self.

Anonymous said...

Somertime it is hard for me to sleep I roll from one side of the bed to the other,than went I am tried of that I just stair up at the celling fan to watch it turn nad turn and ,wait for the alarm to go off.than I am sleeping.tiffanyf

Anonymous said...

There was a cold snap a few days ago and I actually got to light a fire in the fireplace and enjoy it.The temperature dropped down to 40 degrees in the evening,it was windy and very chilly and damp.Even the dog wanted to be inside next to the fireplace.


Michele T.

Anonymous said...

Mirlene
I am living in Florida. Today the thermometer says 40, you can imagine how cold I am.