Saturday, October 25, 2008

Usage - "A" versus "An"

In grammar, the terms "a" and "an" are referred to as indefinite articles. They're used before singular nouns. But what's the difference and how do you know which one to use? In most instances, the article "a" can be used. The exception, however, comes when the noun that follows starts with a vowel (the letters 'a,' 'e,' 'i,' 'o,' and 'u'). Let's look at some examples!

1.) I borrowed a book from the library.
2.) A thunderstorm is predicted for tomorrow.
3.) Did you see a movie this weekend?

4.) An elephant was part of the circus.
5.) My sister packed an umbrella in her car.
6.) Did you taken an English class this year?

How good do you think you are at using "a" and "an" correctly? Test your skills by playing the "Rags to Riches" game found here: http://www.quia.com/rr/53245.html. Then, come back & report how you did. Don't forget to include your thoughts on the activity. Was it fun? Did you challenge yourself? Would you recommend this activity to others who'd like to practice their "a" versus "an" skills?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I played the game seveal time and ask my daugter to play she got more point than me .HA HA.So yes would recommend this to anyone who need to sprare ther skill and have some fun. tiffany f.

Anonymous said...

I played the game several times and I won 1,000,000. It was fun. I recommend this activity to practice their "a" versus "an" skills.

Adriana Wagner

Anonymous said...

It was fun an I recommend this activited to other. It is good practice:I make $1,000,000.00, and I wish it was real.

Maria E Wahlenberg

Anonymous said...

This game is great practice for anyone that need to work on there "a" and "an" usage. I enjoyed playing and, won the 1,000,000.

Lisa Bristol

Anonymous said...

I played the game and won 1,000,000.00.It was fun and I learned alot about "A" versus "An".

Anonymous said...

Dorothea Maxwell
Posted above

Anonymous said...

I scored a perfect 1,000,000 and I had fun playing it. This game refreshed my memory of "a" and "an". I would definetly recommend this game to other students.

Aneilia Persad

Anonymous said...

Rags to Riches, what a fun and challenging game.
It is a good way to test your knowledge and practice the rule for "A" versus "An".
I would recommend the game to anyone who needs practice in this area.




Michele T.

Anonymous said...

I won the million dollars right away! The game was very easy. I have no problems using "A" and "An".

Margie

Anonymous said...

I got all the questions right but in the beginning it made me think twice because I wasn't expecting nothing to be a choice! I thought the activity was interactive and would recommend it to someone.

-Judith B

Unknown said...

I took the challenge twice. I scored 100% on the second try.
I find this very helping.


Mianta

Anonymous said...

I played several times and I won the 1,000.000. The game was fun! It wasn't difficult. And I'm a millionaire!

Rosa M. Fernandez

Anonymous said...

I played the game three times and won 1,000,000. It was fun, I learned how easy it is to forget when you are not practicing. I would recommend the site for practicing.

Karla Banton