Saturday, November 22, 2008

Writing - Synonyms

Have you heard of the term "synonym" before? A synonym is a word that has a similar meaning of another word. Some synonyms are listed below.

Laugh - Chuckle
Cry - Sob
Happy - Elated
Sad - Dejected
Walk - Stroll
Run - Trot

Here's a really great website that will test how well you know your synonyms for some words. It's also a fun way to help expand your vocabulary! Knowing synonyms will help improve your writing because you'll have varied word choice. Try this synonym game, come back here, report how you did, if you enjoyed it, and which set of synonyms were new to you!

http://www.sadlier-oxford.com/phonics/synonyms/synonyms.htm

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found the game interestin. I scored 3675 missed a couple. I would go back and play again.

Anonymous said...

I found the game challenging yet interesting, my score was 4000 so I would say I did well.


Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

I found the game challenging yet interesting, my score was 4000 so I would say I did well.


Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

Mirlene
I did not understand the way to play the Synonyms game, I won only 300.

Anonymous said...

The synonyms game was challenging and interesting.I scored 3965.

Dorothea M

Anonymous said...

I thought that game was kind of neat. I scored 3600. I would try that again.




Crystal Smolter

Anonymous said...

My score was 3900. It was fun and very educating.I learned a synonym for the word content and I never knew what it meant.

Aneilia P.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the game was attention getting. I did well and enjoyed thinking .





Michele T.

Anonymous said...

I found the synonyms game very interesting. I scored 3,700 and missed a few. I definitely would play this game again.

Leonie F.

Anonymous said...

What a fun way to learn! There were some words I could not match.
bicker=argue chatter=babble

I went back to play and of course I did better.

I wrote down these words to look up in the dictionary.

Margie

Anonymous said...

I did all three rounds I scored 3800 time ran out on the last question in the last round. I was familiar with all the synonyms.

I am doing synonyms in skills tutor.

Karla Banton

Anonymous said...

Sandra H.

I enjoyed the game. It was fun. I scored a 4300. I knew all of the words and I only played it once. It's a game I will introduce to my kids.