Saturday, November 15, 2008

Regular Verbs

Three past blog posts dealt with different tenses of verbs (past, present, and future). This post is going to deal with the concept of "regular verbs." Have you heard of that term before? A regular verb is one that follows the "regular" rule when changing it to the past tense. Let's look at a few examples and then get into the specifics.

Present tense form: cook
Past tense form: cooked

Present tense form: paint
Past tense form: painted

Present tense form: use
Past tense form: used

What's so "regular" about that? Well, all past tense forms took the present tense form and just added "-ed" to the end. There was no change in the form of the original verb.

For a list of the 600 most common regular verbs, visit this site: http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/regular-verbs-list.htm. When you get there, scroll through the list. Pick one regular verb, come back to this blog, type the verb in it's present tense form, and then type it in the past tense form. Can you then use that regular past tense form in a sentence? Give it a shot!

Example:
Present tense: calculate
Past tense: calculated
Sentence: I calculated the waiter's tip.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Present tense: use
Past tense: used
I threw away my used computer.

Anonymous said...

Present tense : Admire
Past tense : Admired
Sentence : I admired the flower arrangement.




Michele T.

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to www.learn2type.com to practice my typing. I took the typing test and my speed is 45wpm with 100% accuracy. This is an improvement from my last typing test in which I scored 35wpm with 100%. I will keep trying until I get to 50wpm.

Thank you,
Leonie

Anonymous said...

Here is a networking tip that I learned from the Elluminate Workshop. It is:
When giving a person your card, personalize it by handwriting your cell number on it. This will cause the recipient to feel that they are receiving something special.

Thank you,
Leonie

Anonymous said...

Present tense: gather

Past tense: gathered

She gathered up an armful of colorful, crinkly fall leaves

Anonymous said...

Mirlene
This morning, I walked for 30 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Can I asked your mom to take me work?

Dorothea M

Anonymous said...

Present tense: attach
Past tense: attached
Sentence: I attached the papper to the packet o carry to my appointment this morning.
Aneilia Persad

Anonymous said...

Present tense:Announce

Past tense:Announced

Sentense:Sonia just announced the birth of her new baby girl.

Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

Present tense - allow
Past tense - allowed

He is not allow to stay late during the week, however, he was allowed to stay late last week because he was on vacation.

Maria Rodriguez - Trelles

Anonymous said...

Present tense: behave
Past tense: behaved

Sentence: He behaved badly in school.

Leonie Florestal